An Equilibrium Model of Investment Under Uncertainty
AbstractWe analyze the optimal investment decisions of heterogeneous firms in a competitive, uncertain environment, characterizing firms' investment strategies explicitly and deriving closed-form solutions for firm value. Real option premia remain significant, and are even unmitigated relative to the standard partial-equilibrium model when both are calibrated to observables. Firms consequently delay investment, choosing not to undertake some positive NPV projects. We compare competitive behavior to that of a strategic monopolist, and quantify the welfare loss associated with monopoly. Finally, the model predicts business cycle dependence on firm returns, with returns negatively skewed during industry expansions but positively skewed in industry recessions. , Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal The Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 20 (2007)
Issue (Month): 5 (2007 29)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Meng, Rujing, 2008. "A patent race in a real options setting: Investment strategy, valuation, CAPM beta, and return volatility," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 3192-3217, October.
- Byron F. Lutz, 2009. "Fiscal amenities, school finance reform and the supply side of the Tiebout market," Finance and Economics Discussion Series, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) 2009-18, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Urban Jermann, 2006.
"The Equity Premium Implied by Production,"
NBER Working Papers
12487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Urban J. Jermann, 2005. "The Equity Premium Implied by Production," 2005 Meeting Papers, Society for Economic Dynamics 630, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Aray, Henry & Gardeazabal, Javier, 2005.
"Going Multinational under Exchange Rate Uncertainty,"
DFAEII Working Papers
2005-05, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Aray, Henry & Gardeazabal, Javier, 2010. "Going multinational under exchange rate uncertainty," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 1171-1191, October.
- Henry Aray & Javier Gardeazabal, 2008. "Going Multinational under Exchange Rate Uncertainty," ThE Papers 08/19, Department of Economic Theory and Economic History of the University of Granada..
- Iulian Obreja & Chris Telmer, 2009.
"Accounting for Low Frequency Variation in Tobin's q,"
2009 Meeting Papers, Society for Economic Dynamics
47, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Iulian Obreja & Chris Telmer, 2008. "Accounting for Low Frequency Variation in Tobin's q," 2008 Meeting Papers 815, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Mellati, Ali, 2008. "Uncertainty and investment in private sector: An analytical argument and a review of the economy of Iran," MPRA Paper 26655, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Toole, Andrew A. & Czarnitzki, Dirk, 2008. "The R&D Investment-Uncertainty Relationship: Do Competition and Firm Size Matter?," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-013, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Christian A. L. Hilber, 2007.
"New housing supply and the dilution of social capital,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library
3573, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Hilber, Christian A.L., 2010. "New housing supply and the dilution of social capital," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 419-437, May.
- Hilber, Christian A. L., 2007. "New Housing Supply and the Dilution of Social Capital," MPRA Paper 5134, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christian A. L. Hilber, 2010. "New Housing Supply and the Dilution of Social Capital," SERC Discussion Papers, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE 0042, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Hilber, Christian A. L., 2007. "New Housing Supply and the Dilution of Social Capital," MPRA Paper 11620, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 14 Nov 2008.
- Stefan Kersting & JProf. Silke Huettel & Prof. Martin Odening, 2013. "Structural change in agriculture â€“ an equilibrium approach," EcoMod2013 5300, EcoMod.
- Huisman, K.J.M. & Kort, P.M., 2013. "Strategic Capacity Investment Under uncertainty," Discussion Paper, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research 2013-003, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.