Optimal Portfolio Selection with Transaction Costs and Finite Horizons
AbstractWe examine the optimal trading strategy for a CRRA investor who maximizes the expected utility of wealth on a finite date and faces transaction costs. Closed-form solutions are obtained when this date is uncertain. We then show a sequence of analytical solutions converge to the solution to the problem with a deterministic finite horizon. Consistent with the common life-cycle investment advice, the optimal trading strategy is found to be horizon dependent and largely buy and hold. Moreover, it might be optimal for the investor in our model not to buy any stock, even when the risk premium is positive. Further analysis of the optimal policy is also provided. Copyright 2002, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal The Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 15 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Liu, Hong & Yong, Jiongmin, 2005. "Option pricing with an illiquid underlying asset market," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(12), pages 2125-2156, December.
- Yu, Jinping & Yang, Xiaofeng & Li, Shenghong, 2009. "Portfolio optimization with CVaR under VG process," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 107-116, January.
- Luca Benzoni & Pierre Collin-Dufresne & Robert S. Goldstein, 2007. "Portfolio choice over the life-cycle when the stock and labor markets are cointegrated," Working Paper Series WP-07-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Stefan Gerhold & Johannes Muhle-Karbe & Walter Schachermayer, 2010. "The dual optimizer for the growth-optimal portfolio under transaction costs," Papers 1005.5105, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2010.
- Ronald J. Balvers & Yangru Wu, 2005.
"Optimal Transaction Filters Under Transitory Trading Opportunities: Theory and Empirical Illustration,"
022005, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Balvers, Ronald & Wu, Yangru, 2010. "Optimal transaction filters under transitory trading opportunities: Theory and empirical illustration," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 129-156, February.
- Robert-Paul Berben, 2003. "Does stock market uncertainty impair the use of monetary indicators in the euro area?," MEB Series (discontinued) 2003-15, Netherlands Central Bank, Monetary and Economic Policy Department.
- Min Dai & Zuo Quan Xu & Xun Yu Zhou, 2009. "Continuous-Time Markowitz's Model with Transaction Costs," Papers 0906.0678, arXiv.org.
- Raúl Ibarra-Ramírez, 2011. "Stocks, Bonds and the Investment Horizon: A Spatial Dominance Approach," Working Papers 2011-03, Banco de México.
- Isaenko, Sergei, 2010. "Portfolio choice under transitory price impact," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 2375-2389, November.
- João Amaro de Matos & Nuno Silva, 2011. "Consuming durable goods when stock markets jump: a strategic asset allocation approach," GEMF Working Papers 2012-01, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Chong, Zhiwei, 2012. "Rational expectations equilibrium with transaction costs in financial markets," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 73-80.
- Dai, Min & Wang, Hefei & Yang, Zhou, 2012. "Leverage management in a bull–bear switching market," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1585-1599.
- Reindorp, Matthew J. & Fu, Michael C., 2011. "Capital renewal as a real option," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 214(1), pages 109-117, October.
- Chong, Zhiwei, 2010. "Rational expectations equilibrium with transaction costs in financial markets," MPRA Paper 34444, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 14 Jul 2011.
- Gautam Goswami & Milind Shrikhande & Liuren Wu, 2002. "A Dynamic Equilibrium Model of Real Exchange Rates with General Transaction Costs," Finance 0207016, EconWPA.
- Dai, Min & Jin, Hanqing & Liu, Hong, 2011. "Illiquidity, position limits, and optimal investment for mutual funds," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 146(4), pages 1598-1630, July.
- Huang, Dashan & Zhu, Shu-Shang & Fabozzi, Frank J. & Fukushima, Masao, 2008. "Portfolio selection with uncertain exit time: A robust CVaR approach," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 594-623, February.
- Dybvig, Philip H. & Liu, Hong, 2010. "Lifetime consumption and investment: Retirement and constrained borrowing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(3), pages 885-907, May.
- Luca Benzoni & Pierre Collin-Dufresne & Robert S. Goldstein, 2005. "Portfolio Choice over the Life-Cycle in the Presence of 'Trickle Down' Labor Income," NBER Working Papers 11247, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.