How Does the Spirit of Capitalism Affect Stock Market Prices?
AbstractBakshi and Chen (1996) suggest that the spirit of capitalism affects stock prices by increasing society's aversion to risk. In this article, I show that the way in which the spirit of capitalism impinges upon asset prices depends on the interaction of impatience, willingness to substitute over time, and ordinal preferences between consumption and status, in addition to risk aversion. I develop a general model that charts the channels through which the spirit of capitalism affects asset prices. An increase in the capitalist spirit may increase or decrease risk aversion, and may actually decrease the prices of risky assets. Article published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Society for Financial Studies in its journal, The Review of Financial Studies.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 14 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Liutang Gong & William Smith & Heng-fu Zou, 2007.
"Asset Prices and Hyperbolic Discounting,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 8(2), pages 397-414, November.
- René Garcia & Éric Renault & Andrei Semenov, 2003.
"Disentangling Risk Aversion and Intertemporal Substitution Through a Reference Level,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Garcia, Rene & Renault, Eric & Semenov, Andrei, 2006. "Disentangling risk aversion and intertemporal substitution through a reference level," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 181-193, September.
- Timothy K. Chue, 2004. "The Spirit of Capitalism and International Risk Sharing," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 589, Econometric Society.
- Luo, Yulei & Young, Eric R., 2009.
"The Wealth Distribution And The Demand For Status,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(S1), pages 1-30, May.
- Feyzullah Egriboyun & H. Soner, 2010. "Optimal investment strategies with a reallocation constraint," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 71(3), pages 551-585, June.
- Diego Nocetti & William T. Smith, 2011. "Precautionary Saving and Endogenous Labor Supply with and without Intertemporal Expected Utility," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43(7), pages 1475-1504, October.
- Kenc, Turalay & Dibooglu, Sel, 2007. "The spirit of capitalism, asset pricing and growth in a small open economy," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(8), pages 1378-1402, December.
- Dreyer, Johannes K. & Schneider, Johannes & Smith, William T., 2013. "Saving-based asset-pricing," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3704-3715.
- Zhang Qiang, 2006.
"The Spirit of Capitalism and Asset Pricing: An Empirical Investigation,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 6(3), pages 1-25, November.
- Qiang Zhang, 2006. "The Spirit of Capitalism and Asset Pricing: an Empirical Investigation," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-428, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Gong, Liutang & Zou, Heng-fu, 2012. "Risk-taking, fiscal policies, asset pricing, and stochastic growth with the spirit of capitalism," MPRA Paper 37426, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nocetti, Diego & Smith, William T., 2011. "Price uncertainty, saving, and welfare," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1139-1149, July.
- Takashi Kamihigashi, 2008.
"The spirit of capitalism, stock market bubbles and output fluctuations,"
International Journal of Economic Theory,
The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 4(1), pages 3-28.
- Takashi Kamihigashi, 2007. "The Spirit of Capitalism, Stock Market Bubbles, and Output Fluctuations," Discussion Paper Series 205, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University, revised Oct 2007.
- Qiang Zhang, 2006. "The Spirit of Capitalism and Asset Pricing: an Empirical Investigation (Subsequently published in "The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics (Topics in Macroeconomics)", 2006, Vol. 6, Issue 3, Arti," CARF F-Series CARF-F-069, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Liutang Gong & Yulei Luo & Heng-fu Zou, 2009. "Social Status, the Spirit of Capitalism, and the Term Structure of Interest Rates in Stochastic Production Economies," CEMA Working Papers 372, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.