Information, Liquidity, Asset Prices, and Monetary Policy
AbstractWhat determines which assets are used in transactions? We develop a framework where the extent to which assets are recognizable determines the extent to which they are acceptable in exchange--i.e. it determines their liquidity. Recognizability and liquidity are endogenized by allowing agents to invest in information. We analyse the effects of monetary policy. There can be multiple equilibria, with different transaction patterns, and these patterns are not invariant to policy. We show that small changes in information may generate large responses in asset prices, allocations, and welfare. We also discuss some issues in international economics, including exchange rates and dollarization. Copyright , Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal The Review of Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 79 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aleksander Berentsen & Samuel Huber & Alessandro Marchesiani, 2012. "Degreasing the wheels of finance," ECON - Working Papers 101, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Venky Venkateswaran & Randall Wright, 2013.
"Pledgability and Liquidity: A New Monetarist Model of Financial and Macroeconomic Activity,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2013, Volume 28
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Venky Venkateswaran & Randall Wright, 2013. "Pledgability and Liquidity: A New Monetarist Model of Financial and Macroeconomic Activity," NBER Working Papers 19009, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Li, Ying-Syuan & Li, Yiting, 2013. "Liquidity and asset prices: A new monetarist approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(4), pages 426-438.
- Stephen Williamson & Randall Wright, 2010.
"New monetarist economics: methods,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 265-302.
- Athanasios Geromichalos & Lucas Herrenbrueck & Kevin Salyer, 2013. "A Search-Theoretic Model of the Term Premium," Working Papers 138, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Yu Zhu & Randall Wright & Chao He, 2012. "Housing and Liquidity," 2012 Meeting Papers 94, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jonathan Chiu & Cesaire Meh & Randall Wright, 2011.
"Innovation and growth with financial, and other, frictions,"
688, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Jonathan Chiu & Cesaire Meh & Randall Wright, 2011. "Innovation and Growth with Financial, and other, Frictions," NBER Working Papers 17512, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Chiu & Césaire Meh & Randall Wright, 2011. "Innovation and Growth with Financial, and Other, Frictions," Working Papers 11-25, Bank of Canada.
- Jonathan Chiu & Cesaire Meh & Randall Wright, 2013. "Innovation and growth with financial, and other, frictions," CQER Working Paper 2013-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Williamson, Stephen & Wright, Randall, 2010.
"New Monetarist Economics: Models,"
Handbook of Monetary Economics,
in: Benjamin M. Friedman & Michael Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 2, pages 25-96
- Jacquet, Nicolas L. & Tan, Serene, 2012. "Money and asset prices with uninsurable risks," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(8), pages 784-797.
- Guillaume Rocheteau & Randall Wright, 2010. "Liquidity and asset market dynamics," Working Paper 1016, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Guillaume Rocheteau & Ed Nosal, 2008.
"Pairwise Trade, Asset Prices and Monetary Policy,"
2008 Meeting Papers
774, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Guillaume Rocheteau & Jose Antonio Rodriguez-Lopez, 2013. "Liquidity Provision, Interest Rates, and Unemployment," Working Papers 121311, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.