The Assessment: The Economics of Legal Reform
AbstractThe paper applies an approach to medium-term policy-making that emphasizes the case for tax-rate smoothing to the present situation of the European community and particularly the U.K. within it. U.K. attempts since 1960 at a medium-term framework for policy are reviewed, as is the erosion over the same period of the scope for national policy as a result largely of EC developments relating to harmonization and convergence. While EMU would assign monetary policy to the Community level, the small size of the central budget effectively assigns fiscal policy to the national level with implications that are explored. The wisdom of EMU is questioned in the light of the heterogeneity and low labor mobility of member states. Recent German experience illustrates some of these problems and the contributions of (mis)management of unification to Europe's current macroeconomic disarray is also assessed. Copyright 1994 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Review of Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 10 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://oxrep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hyde, Charles E., 2006. "Conditional versus contingent fees: Litigation expenditure incentives," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 180-194, June.
- Swanson, Timothy & Mason, Robin, 1998. "Nonbargaining in the shadow of the law," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 121-140, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.