Determinants of pollution: what do we really know?
AbstractThe recent literature proposes many variables as significant determinants of pollution. This paper gives an overview of this literature and asks which of these factors have an empirically robust impact on water and air pollution. We apply Extreme Bound Analysis (EBA) on a panel of up to 120 countries covering the period 1960--2001. We find supportive evidence of the existence of the environmental Kuznets curve for water pollution. Furthermore, mainly variables capturing the economic structure of a country affect air and water pollution. Copyright 2011 Oxford University Press 2010 All rights reserved, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 63 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jochen Hartwig & Jan-Egbert Sturm, 2012. "An outlier-robust extreme bounds analysis of the determinants of health-care expenditure growth," KOF Working papers 12-307, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Fang, Wen Shwo & Miller, Stephen M. & Yeh, Chih-Chuan, 2012.
"The effect of ESCOs on energy use,"
Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 558-568.
- Eugenio Figueroa & Andrés Gómez-Lobo & Pablo Jorquera & Felipe Labrín, 2012. "Develando econométricamente los impactos del Transantiago en la contaminación atmosférica de Santiago de Chile," Working Papers wp355, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- WenShwo Fang & Stephen M. Miller, 2012. "The effect of ESCOs on carbon dioxide emissions," Working papers 2012-14, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Mina Baliamoune-Lutz, 2012. "Trade and Environmental Quality in African Countries: Do Institutions Matter?," ICER Working Papers 14-2012, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.