How does investing in cheap labour countries affect performance at home? Firm-level evidence from France and Italy
AbstractTransferring low tech manufacturing jobs to cheap labour countries is often seen by part of the general public and policy makers as a step into the de-industrialization of the European economies. However, recent contributions have shown that the effects on home economies are rarely negative. Our paper contributes to this literature by examining how outward investments to developing and less developed countries (LDCs) affect home activities of French and Italian firms that turn multinational in the period analysed. The effects of these investments are also compared to the effects of investments to developed economies (DCs). The analysis is carried out by using propensity score matching. We find no evidence of a negative effect of outward investments to LDCs. In Italy they have a positive long term effect on value added and employment. For France we find a positive effect on the size of domestic output and employment. Copyright 2010 , Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 62 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gazaniol, Alexandre, 2012. "The impact of outward FDI on the domestic perimeter of manufacturing groups," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/9019, Paris Dauphine University.
- Sotiris Blanas, 2012.
"Intra-Firm Trade and Employment in US Manufacturing,"
FIW Working Paper series
- Sotiris Blanas, 2012. "Intra-Firm Trade and Employment in US Manufacturing," Kiel Advanced Studies Working Papers 458, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Aleksandra Parteka & Joanna Wolszczak-Derlacz, 2013.
"The Impact of Trade Integration with the European Union on Productivity in a Posttransition Economy: The Case of Polish Manufacturing Sectors,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 49(2), pages 84-104, March.
- Aleksandra Parteka & Joanna Wolszczak-Derlacz, 2011. "Market Size, Competitiveness and Technological Frontier - the Impact of Trade Integration with the UE on Productivity in Polish Manufacturing Sectors," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 82, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Aleksandra Parteka & Joanna Wolszczak-Derlacz, 2012. "The Impact of Trade Integration with the EU on Porductivity in a Post-Transition Economy. The Case of Polish Manufacturing Sectors," Working Papers 1202, Instytut Rozwoju, Institute for Development.
- Alexandre Gazaniol, 2012. "The impact of outward FDI on the domestic perimeter of manufacturing groups," Working Papers DT/2012/03, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Becker, Johannes & Riedel, Nadine, 2013.
"Multinational firms mitigate tax competition,"
Elsevier, vol. 118(2), pages 404-406.
- repec:ner:leuven:urn:hdl:123456789/368331 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dierk Herzer, 2010.
"The Long-Run Relationship between Outward FDI and Total Factor Productivity: Evidence for Developing Countries,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
199, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Herzer, Dierk, 2011. "The Long-Run Relationship between Outward FDI and Total Factor Productivity: Evidence for Developing Countries," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011 41, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Abigail Cooke & Thomas Kemeny & David Rigby, 2013. "Cheap Imports and the Loss of U.S. Manufacturing Jobs," SERC Discussion Papers 0148, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Raffaello Bronzini, 2010. "Does investing abroad reduce domestic activity? Evidence from Italian manufacturing firms," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 769, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Olivier Bertrand & Marie-Ann Betschinger, 2011.
"Performance of domestic and cross-border acquisitions: empirical evidence from Russian acquirers,"
129, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Bertrand, Olivier & Betschinger, Marie-Ann, 2012. "Performance of domestic and cross-border acquisitions: Empirical evidence from Russian acquirers," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 413-437.
- Hayakawa, Kazunobu, 2012. "Impacts of FTA utilization on firm performance," IDE Discussion Papers 366, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Tsou, Meng-Wen & Liu, Jin-Tan & Hammitt, James K. & Chang, Ching-Fu, 2013. "The impact of foreign direct investment in China on employment adjustments in Taiwan: Evidence from matched employer–employee data," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 25, pages 68-79.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.