Human capital flows and regional knowledge assets: a simultaneous equation approach
AbstractOur paper constructs a simultaneous equation model in order to investigate the relationship between interregional human capital knowledge flows and regional knowledge assets. With the aid of a GIS system, we model the simultaneous relationship between the interregional migration behaviour of British students and graduates from university and into employment, the knowledge assets of the regions, and the regions of employment of the graduates. Our results indicate that after controlling for the human-capital flows of students and graduates, there is little evidence in favour of direct spillovers between university research and regional innovation. Rather, the primary role of the university system appears to be as a conduit for bringing potential high quality undergraduate human capital into a region. We argue therefore that the migration effects of embodied human capital in Great Britain appear far more important than informal university-industry spillovers as an explanation of regional learning effects. Copyright 2006, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 58 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maria Abreu & Alessandra Faggian & Philip McCann, 2011. "Migration and inter-industry mobility of UK graduates: Effect on earnings and career satisfaction," ERSA conference papers, European Regional Science Association ersa11p118, European Regional Science Association.
- Elisabetta Marinelli, 2011. "Graduate migration in Italy - Lifestyle or necessity?," ERSA conference papers, European Regional Science Association ersa11p1608, European Regional Science Association.
- Simona Iammarino & Elisabetta Marinelli, 2012. "Education-Job (Mis)Matching And Interregional Migration: Italian University Graduates’ Transition To Work," Working Papers, Birkbeck Centre for Innovation Management Research 8, Birkbeck Centre for Innovation Management Research, revised Sep 2012.
- Frank Neffke & Martin Henning, 2011. "Inter-industry linkages in local economies," ERSA conference papers, European Regional Science Association ersa11p1075, European Regional Science Association.
- Philip Wales, 2013. "Access All Areas? The Impact of Fees and Background on Student Demand for Postgraduate Higher Education in the UK," SERC Discussion Papers, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE 0128, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Richard Fabling & Steven Stillman & David C. Maré, 2011.
"Immigration and Innovation,"
Working Papers, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research
11_05, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- David Mare & Richard Fabling & Steven Stillman, 2011. "Immigration and Innovation," CReAM Discussion Paper Series, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London 1110, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Maré, Dave C. & Fabling, Richard & Stillman, Steven, 2011. "Immigration and Innovation," IZA Discussion Papers 5686, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Block, J.H. & Spiegel, F., 2013. "Family firm density and regional innovation output: An exploratory analysis," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 270-280.
- Li, Guo & Mroz, Thomas A., 2013. "Expected income and labor market choices of US married couples: A locally weighted regression approach," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 43(6), pages 985-995.
- Brown, W. Mark & Newbold, Bruce & Beckstead, Desmond, 2008. "Les villes et la croissance : croissance du capital humain migratoire et in situ," L'economie canadienne en transition, Statistics Canada, Analyse economique 2008019f, Statistics Canada, Analyse economique.
- Brown, W. Mark & Newbold, Bruce & Beckstead, Desmond, 2008. "Cities and Growth: In Situ Versus Migratory Human Capital Growth," The Canadian Economy in Transition, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis 2008019e, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis.
- Mercedes Teruel-Carrizosa & Agustí Segarra-Blasco, 2008. "Immigration and Firm Growth: Evidence from Spanish cities," Working Papers, Xarxa de ReferÃ¨ncia en Economia Aplicada (XREAP) XREAP2008-11, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Nov 2008.
- Esubalew Tiruneh, 2014. "Regional Economic Development in Italy: Applying the Creative Class Thesis to a Test," Journal of the Knowledge Economy, Springer, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 19-36, March.
- Andrea Caragliu & Peter Nijkamp, 2013. "Space and Knowledge Spillovers in European Regions," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers, Tinbergen Institute 13-148/VIII, Tinbergen Institute.
- Tom Broekel & Thomas Brenner, 2011.
"Regional factors and innovativeness: an empirical analysis of four German industries,"
The Annals of Regional Science, Springer,
Springer, vol. 47(1), pages 169-194, August.
- Tom Broekel & Thomas Brenner, 2009. "Regional Factors and Innovativeness - An Empirical Analysis of Four German Industries," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG), Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography 0917, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Oct 2009.
- Teruel Carrizosa , Mercedes & Segarra Blasco , Agustí, 2009. "Immigration and Firm Performance: a city-level approach," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 15, pages 111-137.
- Sofia Tano, 2014. "Regional clustering of human capital: school grades and migration of university graduates," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, Springer, vol. 52(2), pages 561-581, March.
- Partridge, Mark D. & Rickman, Dan S. & Olfert, M. Rose & Ali, Kamar, 2012. "Dwindling U.S. internal migration: Evidence of spatial equilibrium or structural shifts in local labor markets?," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 375-388.
- Fornahl, Dirk & Brenner, Thomas, 2009. "Geographic concentration of innovative activities in Germany," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 163-182, September.
- Philip Mccann, 2006. "On the supply-side determinants of regional growth," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(7), pages 681-693.
- Bram Timmermans & Ron Boschma, 2012. "The effect of intra- and inter-regional labour mobility on plant performance in Denmark: the significance of related labour inflows," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG), Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography 1213, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Jun 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.