Active citizen's income, unconditional income and participation under imperfect competition: a welfare analysis
AbstractVarious types of basic income schemes are considered to compensate the allocative inefficiencies induced by unemployment benefits. A dynamic general equilibrium model of a unionised economy is developed in which participation to the formal labour market is endogenous and the budget of the State has to balance. It is shown that basic income schemes reduce the equilibrium unemployment rate. Assuming that job-search is costly to monitor, the normative analysis suggests that only the active population should be eligible to the basic income. Introducing such an 'active citizen's income' can be a Pareto-improving reform. Copyright 2004, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 56 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wälde, Klaus & Lingens, Jörg, 2005.
"Pareto - Improving Unemployment Policies,"
W.E.P. - WÃ¼rzburg Economic Papers
63, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
- Jörg Lingens & Klaus Wälde, 2007. "Pareto-Improving Unemployment Policies," Working Papers 2007_34, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Jorg, LINGENS & Klaus, WAELDE, 2005. "Pareto-Improving Unemployment Policies," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2005033, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Jörg Lingens & Klaus Wälde, 2006. "Pareto-Improving Unemployment Policies," CESifo Working Paper Series 1807, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.