Unions, Dutch Disease and Unemployment
AbstractModels are needed that can explain both the recent structural chang e in the U.K. economy and the possibility that this might have long-r un effects on unemployment. The major results are that arise in material prices is likely to increase long-run unemployment for countries that are net importers of materials, but might lower it for net exporters; that the discovery of a resource like North Sea oil lowers equilibrium unemployment; and that a model with exogenous "union" wages cannot predict the observed pattern of deindustrialization after an oil discovery, but one with an endogenous union wage may. Copyright 1988 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 40 (1988)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- van der Ploeg, Frederick, 2006.
"Challenges and Opportunities for Resource Rich Economies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
5688, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Frederick van der Ploeg, 2008. "Challenges and Opportunities for Resource Rich Economies," OxCarre Working Papers, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford 005, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Frederick Van der Ploeg, 2010.
"Natural Resources: Curse or Blessing?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series, CESifo Group Munich
3125, CESifo Group Munich.
- Frederick van der Ploeg, 2011. "Natural Resources: Curse or Blessing?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 49(2), pages 366-420, June.
- Erling Røed Larsen, 2004. "Escaping the Resource Curse and the Dutch Disease? When and Why Norway Caught up with and Forged ahead of Its Neighbors," Discussion Papers, Research Department of Statistics Norway 377, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.