Nonparametric Estimation of Expected Shortfall
AbstractThe expected shortfall is an increasingly popular risk measure in financial risk management and it possesses the desired sub-additivity property, which is lacking for the value at risk (VaR). We consider two nonparametric expected shortfall estimators for dependent financial losses. One is a sample average of excessive losses larger than a VaR. The other is a kernel smoothed version of the first estimator (Scaillet, 2004 Mathematical Finance), hoping that more accurate estimation can be achieved by smoothing. Our analysis reveals that the extra kernel smoothing does not produce more accurate estimation of the shortfall. This is different from the estimation of the VaR where smoothing has been shown to produce reduction in both the variance and the mean square error of estimation. Therefore, the simpler ES estimator based on the sample average of excessive losses is attractive for the shortfall estimation. Copyright 2007 The Authors, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Econometrics in its journal Journal of Financial Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 6 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://jfec.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Francq, Christian & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2012. "Risk-parameter estimation in volatility models," MPRA Paper 41713, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Beutner, Eric & Zähle, Henryk, 2010. "A modified functional delta method and its application to the estimation of risk functionals," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(10), pages 2452-2463, November.
- Henryk Zähle, 2011. "Rates of almost sure convergence of plug-in estimates for distortion risk measures," Metrika, Springer, vol. 74(2), pages 267-285, September.
- Cotter, John & Dowd, Kevin, 2007.
"Evaluating the Precision of Estimators of Quantile-Based Risk Measures,"
3504, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John Cotter & Kevin Dowd, 2011. "Evaluating the Precision of Estimators of Quantile-Based Risk Measures," Working Papers 200743, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Kevin Dowd & John Cotter, 2011. "Evaluating the Precision of Estimators of Quantile-Based Risk Measures," Papers 1103.5665, arXiv.org.
- Yang Yan & Dajing Shang & Oliver Linton, 2012. "Efficient estimation of conditional risk measures in a semiparametric GARCH model," CeMMAP working papers CWP25/12, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Saša ŽIKOVIÆ & Randall K. FILER, 2013.
"Ranking of VaR and ES Models: Performance in Developed and Emerging Markets,"
Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver),
Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 63(4), pages 327-359, August.
- Sasa Zikovic & Randall Filer, 2012. "Ranking of VaR and ES Models: Performance in Developed and Emerging Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 3980, CESifo Group Munich.
- Cai, Zongwu & Wang, Xian, 2008. "Nonparametric estimation of conditional VaR and expected shortfall," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 120-130, November.
- Bai, Zhidong & Phoon, Kok Fai & Wang, Keyan & Wong, Wing-Keung, 2013. "The performance of commodity trading advisors: A mean-variance-ratio test approach," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 188-201.
- Marcelo Brutti Righi & Paulo Sergio Ceretta, 2013. "Pair Copula Construction based Expected Shortfall estimation," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(2), pages 1067-1072.
- Sasa Zikovic & Randall Filer, 2009. "Hybrid Historical Simulation VaR and ES: Performance in Developed and Emerging Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 2820, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kerkhof, Jeroen & Melenberg, Bertrand & Schumacher, Hans, 2010. "Model risk and capital reserves," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 267-279, January.
- Jianqing Fan, 2004. "A selective overview of nonparametric methods in financial econometrics," Papers math/0411034, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.