Financial Development and Economic Growth: A Review and New Evidence
AbstractIn recent years there has been substantial theoretical and empirical work on the role that financial markets play in fostering economic growth and development. This paper provides a selective review of the literature, as well as new empirical evidence on the relationship between financial development and economic growth for a large sample of countries. While the results indicate that the effect of financial development on growth is positive, the size of the effect varies with different indicators of financial development, estimation method, data frequency and the functional form of the relationship. Copyright 2003, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE) in its journal Journal of African Economies.
Volume (Year): 12 (2003)
Issue (Month): Supplement 2 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: +44-(0)1865 271084
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.jae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kar, Muhsin & NazlIoglu, Saban & AgIr, Hüseyin, 2011. "Financial development and economic growth nexus in the MENA countries: Bootstrap panel granger causality analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 685-693, January.
- Abdullahi D. Ahmed, 2010. "Financial liberalization, financial development and growth linkages in Sub-Saharan African countries: An empirical investigation," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(4), pages 314-339, October.
- Petris Sorina, 2012. "Capital Flows And Their Sectoral Destinations," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 825-829, July.
- Nahla Samargandi & Jan Fidrmuc & Sugata Ghosh, 2014. "Is the Relationship between Financial Development and Economic Growth Monotonic? Evidence from a Sample of Middle Income Countries," CESifo Working Paper Series 4743, CESifo Group Munich.
- Havrylchyk, Olena, 2010. "A macroeconomic credit risk model for stress testing the South African banking sector," MPRA Paper 21639, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kumar, Ronald Ravinesh, 2013. "Remittances and economic growth: A study of Guyana," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 462-472.
- Castaneda, Gonzalo, 2006. "Economic growth and concentrated ownership in stock markets," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 249-286, February.
- Serhan Cevik & Mohammad Rahmati, 2013. "Searching for the Finance-Growth Nexus in Libya," IMF Working Papers 13/92, International Monetary Fund.
- Phiri, Andrew, 2014. "Asymmetric co-integration and causality effects between financial development and economic growth in South Africa," MPRA Paper 53055, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hassan, M. Kabir & Sanchez, Benito & Yu, Jung-Suk, 2011. "Financial development and economic growth: New evidence from panel data," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 88-104, February.
- Mohsin S. Khan, 2011. "The Design and Effects of Monetary Policy in Sub-Saharan African Countries-super- †," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 20(suppl_2), pages -ii35, May.
- Jean-pierre Allegret & Sana Azzabi, 2013. "Financial development, threshold effects and convergence in developing and emerging countries," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(3), pages 1899-1921.
- Abounoori, Abbas Ali & Naderi, Esmaeil & Gandali Alikhani, Nadiya & Amiri, Ashkan, 2013.
"Financial Time Series Forecasting by Developing a Hybrid Intelligent System,"
45860, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abounoori, Abbas Ali & Naderi, Esmaeil & Gandali Alikhani, Nadiya & Amiri, Ashkan, 2013. "Financial Time Series Forecasting by Developing a Hybrid Intelligent System," MPRA Paper 45615, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jean-Pierre Allegret & Sana Azzabi, 2012. "DÃ©veloppement financier, croissance de long terme et effets de seuil," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 59(5), pages 553-581, December.
- Hsueh, Shun-Jen & Hu, Yu-Hau & Tu, Chien-Heng, 2013. "Economic growth and financial development in Asian countries: A bootstrap panel Granger causality analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 294-301.
- Abraham Mwenda & Noah Mutoti, 2011. "Financial Sector Reforms, Bank Performance and Economic Growth: Evidence from Zambia," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 23(1), pages 60-74.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.