Internationalization and technological catching up of emerging multinationals: a comparative case study of China's Haier group
AbstractA number of firms from China and India have in recent years been demonstrating their ability to face up to the challenges of globalization by internationalizing their operations. In this article we carry out a case study of China's Haier Group followed by a comparison of its growth and internationalization with those of India's Tata Group. We examine several aspects of their internationalization, such as the mode of internationalization and the choice of overseas destinations. The study further explores the importance of, among others, conglomerate structure, prior experience, the state, and entrepreneurship in the internationalization of the two groups. Copyright 2009 , Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Industrial and Corporate Change.
Volume (Year): 18 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://icc.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Subramaniam Ananthram & Cecil Pearson & Samir Chatterjee, 2010. "Do organisational reform measures impact on global mindset intensity of managers?: Empirical evidence from Indian and Chinese service industry managers," Journal of Chinese Economic and Foreign Trade Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(2), pages 146-168, June.
- Wei, Yingqi & Zheng, Nan & Liu, Xiaohui & Lu, Jiangyong, 2014. "Expanding to outward foreign direct investment or not? A multi-dimensional analysis of entry mode transformation of Chinese private exporting firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 356-370.
- Dirk Christian Dohse & Robert Hassink & Claudia Klaerding, 2012. "Emerging multinationals, international knowledge flows and economic geography: a research agenda," Kiel Working Papers 1776, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Zhang, Ying & Duysters, Geert, 2010. "Entrepreneurship Development and the Role of Economic Transition in Entrepreneurial Activities in China," MERIT Working Papers 036, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Suh, Yongyoon & Kim, Moon-Soo, 2014. "Internationally leading SMEs vs. internationalized SMEs: Evidence of success factors from South Korea," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 115-129.
- Alvandi , Keyvan & Chaminade , Cristina & Lv, Ping, 2013. "Commonalities and differences between production-related FDI (PFDI) and technology-related FDI (TFDI) in developed and emerging economies," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2013/47, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Valeria Gattai, 2013.
"The Dragon and the Elephant on the way to Italy,"
248, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2013.
- Buckley, Peter J. & Hashai, Niron, 2014. "The role of technological catch up and domestic market growth in the genesis of emerging country based multinationals," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 423-437.
- Arora, Saurabh & Romijn, Henny, 2009. "Innovation for the base of the pyramid: Critical perspectives from development studies on heterogeneity and participation," MERIT Working Papers 036, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Francesca Checchinato & Lala Hu & Alessandra Perri & Tiziano Vescovi, 2013. "Internationalization of a Chinese "born glocal" brand: the case of Goodbaby," Working Papers 25, Department of Management, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- Zhang, Ying & Filippov, Sergey, 2009. "Internationalization of Chinese firms in Europe," MERIT Working Papers 041, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- A. Amighini & M. Sanfilippo & R. Rabellotti, 2009. "The rise of multinationals from emerging countries. A review of the literature," Working Papers Prin 004, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.