Firm age and innovation
AbstractWe examine how firm age relates to innovtion quality, and how this relationship varies depending on the nature of technology. Using data on patents of COMPUSTAT firms, we find that firm age is negatively related to technical quality, and that this effect is greater in technologically active areas. The economic implication of this effect is substantial; each additional year reduces the impact of a 10% increase in R&D intensity on the firm's market value by over 3%. Copyright 2008 , Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Industrial and Corporate Change.
Volume (Year): 17 (2008)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://icc.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Florian Noseleit, 2011.
"Entrepreneurship, structural change, and economic growth,"
Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG)
1104, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Jan 2011.
- Florian Noseleit, 2013. "Entrepreneurship, structural change, and economic growth," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 735-766, September.
- Florian Noseleit, 2011. "Entrepreneurship, Structural Change, and Economic Growth," ERSA conference papers ersa11p427, European Regional Science Association.
- Nicolau, Juan Luis & Santa-María, María Jesús, 2013. "Communicating excellence in innovation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 118(1), pages 87-90.
- Natália Barbosa & Ana Paula Faria & Vasco Eiriz, 2013. "Industry - and firm-specific factors of innovation novelty," NIPE Working Papers 10/2013, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Coad, Alex & Segarra Blasco, Agustí, 1958- & Teruel, Mercedes, 2013. "Innovation and firm growth: Does firm age play a role?," Working Papers 2072/211886, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Criscuolo, Paola & Nicolaou, Nicos & Salter, Ammon, 2012. "The elixir (or burden) of youth? Exploring differences in innovation between start-ups and established firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 319-333.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.