Firm dynamics in manufacturing and services: a broken mirror?
AbstractThis article represents a first attempt in exploring firm dynamics in the service industry as a whole. A huge body of empirical literature is focused on manufacturing firms, while only recent contributions shed some light in selected services sectors. Using a unique data set from the Italian National Institute for Social Security (INPS), we compare the patterns of entry, growth, and survival performance of firms belonging to the manufacturing and to the service industry. It turns out that industry dynamics in services, in terms of stylized facts, seem to mirror the one in manufacturing. Moreover, the positive impact of firm size on survival is reduced when age is controlled for, suggesting the existence of a learning mechanism, more pronounced in manufacturing than in services. Copyright 2007 , Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Industrial and Corporate Change.
Volume (Year): 16 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://icc.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alex Coad & Werner Hölzl, 2009. "On the Autocorrelation of Growth Rates," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 139-166, June.
- David Neumark & Brandon Wall & Junfu Zhang, 2008. "Do Small Businesses Create More Jobs? New Evidence from the National Establishment Time Series," NBER Working Papers 13818, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Castellacci, Fulvio, 2007. "Technological regimes and sectoral differences in productivity growth," MPRA Paper 27598, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ioannis Giotopoulos & Georgios Fotopoulos, 2010. "Intra-Industry Growth Dynamics in the Greek Services Sector: Firm-Level Estimates for ICT-Producing, ICT-Using, and Non-ICT Industries," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 59-74, February.
- Lee, Chang-Yang, 2010. "A theory of firm growth: Learning capability, knowledge threshold, and patterns of growth," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 278-289, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.