Flexible practices for mass production goals: economic governance in the Indian automobile industry
AbstractThis paper explains the remarkable restructuring of the Indian automobile industry. It argues that firms have had to deploy new governance modes (flexible industrial practices) for economic coordination to overcome supply bottlenecks and meet expanding demand. Firms that failed to adopt these practices performed poorly, while firms that attained economies of scale were able to graduate to exploiting economies of scope. The industry experience suggests that new governance modes can serve mass production goals in developing economies and not just cushion market volatility, for which they were designed. Copyright 2004, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Industrial and Corporate Change.
Volume (Year): 13 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://icc.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Adelheid Holl & Rafael Pardo & Ruth Rama, 2011.
"Spatial patterns of adoption of just-in-time manufacturing,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa11p385, European Regional Science Association.
- Adelheid Holl & Rafael Pardo & Ruth Rama, 2013. "Spatial patterns of adoption of just-in-time manufacturing," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(1), pages 51-67, 03.
- Adelheid Holl & Rafael Pardo & Ruth Rama, 2011. "Spatial patterns of adoption of just-in-time manufacturing," Working Papers 1101, Instituto de Políticas y Bienes Públicos (IPP), CSIC.
- Adelheid Holl & Rafael Pardo & Ruth Rama, 2010. "Just-in-Time Manufacturing Systems, Subcontracting and Geographic Proximity," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(5), pages 519-533.
- Mamata Parhi, 2008. "Impact of Changing Facets of Inter-firm Interactions on Manufacturing Excellence: A Social Network Perspective of Indian Automotive Industry," Working Papers of BETA 2008-08, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.