Price Discrimination with Differentiated Products: Definition and Identification
AbstractThere is no widely accepted definition of price discrimination with differentiated products. Either absolute price-cost differences or percentage price-cost markups are used as benchmarks for comparison. I show that the two criteria are qualitatively different: One may indicate price discrimination when the other does not. Moreover, anything other than marginal cost pricing will be identified as price discrimination by at least one of the two. I propose choosing a criterion based on the cost of arbitrage in the market under examination. Because this is often difficult to determine, it is advisable to always report results with both measures. (JEL L1, D4) Copyright 2004, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Economic Inquiry.
Volume (Year): 42 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://ei.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- D4 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christos Cabolis & Sofronis Clerides & Ioannis Ioannou & Daniel Senft, 2005.
"A Textbook Example of International Price Discrimination,"
University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics
3-2005, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Cabolis, Christos & Clerides, Sofronis & Ioannou, Ioannis & Senft, Daniel, 2007. "A textbook example of international price discrimination," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 91-95, April.
- Christos Cabolis & Sofronis Clerides & Ioannis Ioannou & Daniel Senft, 2005. "A Textbook Example of International Price Discrimination," Yale School of Management Working Papers amz2640, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Aug 2008.
- Alderighi, Marco, 2010. "Fare dispersions in airline markets: A quantitative assessment of theoretical explanations," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 144-150.
- Pascal Courty, 2009.
Economics Working Papers
ECO2009/16, European University Institute.
- Courty, Pascal & Pagliero, Mario, 2009.
"The Impact of Price Discrimination on Revenue: Evidence from the Concert Industry,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7120, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pascal Courty & Mario Pagliero, 2012. "The Impact of Price Discrimination on Revenue: Evidence from the Concert Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 94(1), pages 359-369, February.
- Pascal Courty & Mario Pagliero, 2009. "The Impact of Price Discrimination on Revenue: Evidence from the Concert Industry," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 105, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Pascal Courty & Mario Pagliero, 2009. "The Impact of Price Discrimination on Revenue: Evidence from the Concert Industry," Economics Working Papers ECO2009/04, European University Institute.
- Bertoletti, Paolo, 2005. "Uniform pricing and social welfare," MPRA Paper 1082, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pascal Courty & Mario Pagliero, 2009.
"Price Discrimination in the Concert Industry,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2009/05, European University Institute.
- Smith, Vincent H. & Johnson, James B., 2005. "Environmental Regulation, Market Power and Price Discrimination in the Agricultural Chemical Industry," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19520, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Haizhen Lin & Yijia Wang, 2012. "Competition and Price Discrimination in the Parking Garage Industry," Working Papers 2012-07, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Paolo Bertoletti, 2009. "On the output criterion for price discrimination," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(4), pages 2951-2956.
- Cohen, Andrew, 2008. "Package size and price discrimination in the paper towel market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 502-516, March.
- Ron Borzekowski & Raphael Thomadsen & Charles Taragin, 2005.
"Competition and price discrimination in the market for mailing lists,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2005-56, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ron Borzekowski & Raphael Thomadsen & Charles Taragin, 2009. "Competition and price discrimination in the market for mailing lists," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 147-179, June.
- Awudu Abdulai & Christian Kuhlgatz & Silke Schmitz, 2009. "Empirical investigation of price setting and quantity surcharges in the German food sector," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(3), pages 331-350.
- Stole, Lars A., 2007. "Price Discrimination and Competition," Handbook of Industrial Organization, Elsevier.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.