What's an Oscar Worth?
AbstractThis article examines the impact of an Academy Award nomination and award for best picture, best actor/actress, and best supporting actor/actress on a film's (i) market share of theaters, (ii) average revenue per screen, and (iii) its probability of survival. The model is estimated using weekly box-office data for a matched sample of nominated and non-nominated films. The results indicate substantial financial benefits for a nomination and award for best picture and best actor/actress. The structure of rewards is consistent with that found in two-stage, single-elimination tournaments. Copyright 2001 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Economic Inquiry.
Volume (Year): 39 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://ei.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ho Fai Chan & Bruno S. Frey & Jana Gallus & Benno Torgler, 2013.
"Does the John Bates Clark Medal boost subsequent productivity and citation success?,"
ECON - Working Papers
111, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Ho Fai Chan & Bruno S. Frey & Jana Gallus & Benno Torgler, 2013. "Does The John Bates Clark Medal Boost Subsequent Productivity And Citation Success?," CREMA Working Paper Series 2013-02, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Ho Fai Chan & Bruno S. Frey & Jana Gallus & Benno Torgler, 2013. "Does The John Bates Clark Medal Boost Subsequent Productivity And Citation Success?," QuBE Working Papers 004, QUT Business School.
- Ho Fai Chan & Bruno S. Frey & Jana Gallus & Benno Torgler, 2013. "Does the John Bates Clark Medal Boost Subsequent Productivity and Citation Success?," CESifo Working Paper Series 4419, CESifo Group Munich.
- John Ashworth & Bruno Heyndels & Kristien Werck, 2010. "Expert judgements and the demand for novels in Flanders," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 197-218, August.
- Francis Lee, 2009. "Cultural discount of cinematic achievement: the academy awards and U.S. movies’ East Asian box office," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 239-263, November.
- W. D. Walls, 2012. "Screen Wars, Star Wars, and Sequels: Nonparametric Reanalysis of Movie Profitability," Working Papers 2008-28, Department of Economics, University of Calgary, revised 10 Sep 2012.
- Jordi McKenzie, 2009. "Revealed word-of-mouth demand and adaptive supply: survival of motion pictures at the Australian box office," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 279-299, November.
- Henry Aray & Betty Agnani, 2007. "And the Oscar goes to ..... Peeeeedrooooo!," ThE Papers 07/03, Department of Economic Theory and Economic History of the University of Granada..
- Melissa Boyle & Lesley Chiou, 2009. "Broadway productions and the value of a Tony Award," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 49-68, February.
- C F Elliott & R Simmons, 2007. "Determinants of UK box office success: the impact of quality signals," Working Papers 584026, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Pablo Brañas-Garza & Maria Paz Espinosa, 2011.
"Unraveling Public Good Games,"
MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(4), pages 434-451, November.
- Pablo Brañas-Garza & María Paz Espinosa, 2008. "Unraveling Public Good Games," ThE Papers 08/01, Department of Economic Theory and Economic History of the University of Granada..
- Espinosa Alejos, María Paz & Brañas Garza, Pablo, 2010. "Unraveling Public Good Games: The Role of Priors," DFAEII Working Papers 2010-04, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Morris Holbrook & Michela Addis, 2008. "Art versus commerce in the movie industry: a Two-Path Model of Motion-Picture Success," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 87-107, June.
- Eva Deuchert & Kossi Adjamah & Florian Pauly, 2005. "For Oscar Glory Or Oscar Money?," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 159-176, August.
- Allègre Hadida, 2010. "Commercial success and artistic recognition of motion picture projects," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 45-80, February.
- Randy Nelson & Clifford Reid & Owen Gilmore, 2007. "An Analysis of the Out-of-Market Gap for DVDs in the U.S," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 303-323, June.
- Caroline Elliott & Rob Simmons, 2008. "Determinants of UK Box Office Success: The Impact of Quality Signals," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 93-111, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.