Payoff Dominance vs. Cognitive Transparency in Decision Making
AbstractThis paper reports on three laboratory experiments designed to investigate the roles of decision costs and rewards on the accuracy of economic decisions. The experimental vehicle is a purchase decision employing the Becker-DeGroot-Marshak (BDM) mechanism. The first experiment verifies the incentive-compatibility of the BDM in a pure induced-value setting; the second tests its performance under different information regimes and payoff schedules; the third addresses the role of feedback information. Steep payoff schedules are found to be necessary to optimizing behavior only in cases where subjects must search out an optimal strategy rather than being able to deduce it from information provided. Coauthors are Gary H. McClelland, Michael McKee, William D. Schulze, and N. Elizabeth Norden. Copyright 1998 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Economic Inquiry.
Volume (Year): 36 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://ei.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Summers, Barbara & Duxbury, Darren, 2012. "Decision-dependent emotions and behavioral anomalies," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 118(2), pages 226-238.
- Florian Artinger & Filippos Exadaktylos & Hannes Koppel & Lauri Sääksvuori, 2010.
"Applying Quadratic Scoring Rule transparently in multiple choice settings: A note,"
10/01, Department of Economic Theory and Economic History of the University of Granada..
- Florian Artinger & Filippos Exadaktylos & Hannes Koppel & Lauri Sääksvuori, 2010. "Applying Quadratic Scoring Rule transparently in multiple choice settings: A note," Jena Economic Research Papers 2010-021, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Mark Van Boening & Tanja F. Blackstone & Michael McKee & Elisabet Rutstrom, 2006. "Benefit packages and individual behavior: choices over discrete goods with multiple attributes," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(6), pages 511-526.
- Messer, Kent D. & Poe, Gregory L. & Schulze, William D., 2008. "The Value of Private Risk Versus the Value of Public Risk: An Experimental Analysis of the Johannesson et al. Conjecture," Working Papers 51141, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Liu, Zhuo & Kanter, Christopher & Messer, Kent D. & Kaiser, Harry M., 2011.
"Identifying Significant Characteristics of Organic Milk Consumers: A CART Analysis of an Artefactual Field Experiment,"
2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
104020, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Zhuo Liu & Christopher A. Kanter & Kent D. Messer & Harry M. Kaiser, 2013. "Identifying significant characteristics of organic milk consumers: a CART analysis of an artefactual field experiment," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(21), pages 3110-3121, July.
- Hardin, Andrew M. & Looney, Clayton Arlen, 2012. "Myopic loss aversion: Demystifying the key factors influencing decision problem framing," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 311-331.
- Mandell, Svante & Wråke, Markus & Myers, Erica C. & Burtraw, Dallas & Holt, Charles A., 2009.
"Pricing Strategies Under Emissions Trading: An Experimental Analysis,"
2009:1, Swedish National Road & Transport Research Institute (VTI).
- Wråke, Markus & Myers, Erica & Mandell, Svante & Holt, Charles & Burtraw, Dallas, 2008. "Pricing Strategies under Emissions Trading: An Experimental Analysis," Discussion Papers dp-08-49, Resources For the Future.
- Morawetz, Ulrich B. & De Groote, Hugo & Kimenju, Simon Chege, 2011. "Improving the Use of Experimental Auctions in Africa: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(2), August.
- Stéphane Robin & Anne Rozan & Bernard Ruffieux, 2007.
"Mesurer les préférences du consommateur pour orienter les décisions des pouvoirs publics : l’apport de la méthode expérimentale,"
0723, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Stéphane Robin & Anne Rozan & Bernard Ruffieux, 2007. "Mesurer les préférences du consommateur pour orienter les décisions des pouvoirs publics : l'apport de la méthode expérimentale," Post-Print hal-00196310, HAL.
- Xie, Jing & Gao, Zhifeng & House, Lisa, 2013. "Purchase Intention Effects in Experimental Auctions and Real Choice Experiments," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 151595, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Evans, Jason R. & D'Souza, Gerard E. & Collins, Alan R. & Brown, Cheryl & Sperow, Mark, 2011.
"Determining Consumer Perceptions of and Willingness to Pay for Appalachian Grass-Fed Beef: An Experimental Economics Approach,"
Agricultural and Resource Economics Review,
Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 40(2), August.
- Evans, Jason R. & Brown, Cheryl & Collins, Alan R. & D'Souza, Gerard E. & Rayburn, Edward B. & Sperow, Mark, 2008. "Determining Consumer Perceptions of and Willingness to Pay or Appalachian Grass-fed Beef: An Experimental Economics Approach," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6209, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Ellis, Addison & Kropp, Jaclyn D. & Norton, Michael T., 2013. "Estimating the Indirect Economic Costs to Shrimp Consumers from the 2010 Deepwater Horizon Gulf Coast Oil Spill," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 142576, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Silva, Andres & Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr. & Campbell, Benjamin L. & Park, John L., 2011. "Revisiting Cheap Talk with New Evidence from a Field Experiment," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(2), August.
- Kanter, Christopher & Messer, Kent D. & Kaiser, Harry M., 2008. "Do rBST-Free and Organic Milk Stigmatize Conventionally Produced Milk?," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 43491, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Christian Vossler & Michael McKee, 2006. "Induced-Value Tests of Contingent Valuation Elicitation Mechanisms," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 35(2), pages 137-168, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.