A Guide to the Pitfalls of Identifying Price Discrimination
AbstractThis paper demonstrates that plausible cost-based explanations exist for what are commonly perceived to be cases of price discrimination. The authors explain such commonly discussed problems as the price spreads of retail gasoline products, the "high" price of dinners at restaurants, the "high" price of popcorn at movie theaters, and the fact that airline ticket prices vary with how long the ticket is purchased before the flight's departure. Their explanations benefit from not relying on consumer ignorance or implicit collusion among numerous sellers. Copyright 1991 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Economic Inquiry.
Volume (Year): 29 (1991)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://ei.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cohen, Andrew, 2008. "Package size and price discrimination in the paper towel market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 502-516, March.
- Ralph-C Bayer, 2006.
"Intertemporal Price Discrimination and Competition,"
School of Economics Working Papers
2006-06, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Bayer, Ralph-C., 2010. "Intertemporal price discrimination and competition," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 273-293, February.
- Clerides, Sofronis K., 2002. "Book value: intertemporal pricing and quality discrimination in the US market for books," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(10), pages 1385-1408, December.
- McCormick, Robert E. & Tollison, Robert D., 2001. "Why do black basketball players work more for less money?," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 201-219, February.
- Li, Michael Z. F., 2001. "Pricing non-storable perishable goods by using a purchase restriction with an application to airline fare pricing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 134(3), pages 631-647, November.
- Aviv Nevo & Catherine Wolfram, 1999. "Prices and Coupons for Breakfast Cereals," NBER Working Papers 6932, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Larry Karp & Jeffrey M. Perloff, 2005.
"When Promoters Like Scalpers,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 477-508, 06.
- Karp, Larry S. & Perloff, Jeffrey M, 2003. "When promoters like scalpers," CUDARE Working Paper Series 916R, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Karp, Larry & Perloff, Jeffrey M., 2003. "When Promoters Like Scalpers," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt52d579j4, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Stole, Lars A., 2007. "Price Discrimination and Competition," Handbook of Industrial Organization, Elsevier.
- Kris Gerardi & Adam Hale Shapiro, 2007. "The effects of competition on price dispersion in the airline industry: a panel analysis," Working Papers 07-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Asplund, Marcus & Eriksson, Rickard & Strand, Niklas, 2001.
"Price Discrimination in Oligopoly: Evidence from Swedish Newspapers,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
468, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 01 Jan 2007.
- Asplund, Björn Marcus & Eriksson, Rickard & Strand, Niklas, 2002. "Price Discrimination in Oligopoly: Evidence from Swedish Newspapers," CEPR Discussion Papers 3269, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.