Competition and the Cigarette TV Advertising Ban
AbstractThe 1970 ban on television advertising for cigarettes constitutes a quasi-experiment allowing the effect of advertising on competition to be evaluated. Assuming the ban reduced the efficacy of industry advertising, an analysis of various proxies for competition before and after the ban enables one to deduce whether advertising promotes or limits competition among cigarette firms. The results indicate that in this case the restriction of advertising reduced competition. Copyright 1991 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Economic Inquiry.
Volume (Year): 29 (1991)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://ei.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Michael Kuhn, 2005.
"Direct to Consumer Advertising in Pharmaceutical Markets,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1493, CESifo Group Munich.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Kuhn, Michael, 2006. "Direct to consumer advertising in pharmaceutical markets," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 102-130, January.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Kuhn, Michael, 2003. "Direct-to-Consumer Advertising in Pharmaceutical Markets," Working Papers in Economics 05/03, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Kurt R Brekke & Michael Kuhn, . "Direct-to-Consumer Advertising in Pharmaceutical Markets," Discussion Papers 03/11, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Jeffrey Milyo & Joel Waldfogel, 1998.
"The Effect of Price Advertising on Prices: Evidence in the Wake of 44 Liquormart,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
9807, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Joel Waldfogel & Jeffrey Milyo, 1999. "The Effect of Price Advertising on Prices: Evidence in the Wake of 44 Liquormart," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(5), pages 1081-1096, December.
- Jeffrey Milyo & Joel Waldfogel, 1998. "The Effect of Price Advertising and Prices: Evidence in the Wake of 44 Liquormart," NBER Working Papers 6488, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Craig A. Gallet, 1999. "The effect of the 1971 advertising ban on behavior in the cigarette industry," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(6), pages 299-303.
- Nilssen,T. & Sorgard,L., 2000. "Strategic informative advertising in a TV-advertising duopoly," Memorandum 17/2000, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Seldon, Barry J. & Jewell, R. Todd & O'Brien, Daniel M., 2000. "Media substitution and economies of scale in advertising," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(8), pages 1153-1180, December.
- Filip Palda, 2001. "Election Finance Regulation in Emerging Democracies: Lessons from Canada and the U.S," Public Economics 0111010, EconWPA.
- Gregmar Galinato & Aaron Olanie & Jon Yoder, 2013. "The Trade and Health Effects of Tobacco Regulations," Working Papers 2013-09, School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University.
- Natsuko Iwasaki & Victor Tremblay, 2009. "The effect of marketing regulations on efficiency: LeChatelier versus coordination effects," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 41-54, August.
- Craig A. Gallet, 2006. "Health information and cigarette consumption: supply and spatial considerations," Empirica, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 35-47, March.
- C. Robert Clark, 2003. "Advertising Restrictions and Competition in the Children's Breakfast Cereal Industry / Restrictions et compétition publicitaire dans l’industrie des céréales pour enfants," CIRANO Working Papers 2003s-30, CIRANO.
- Nilssen, Tore & SÃ¸rgard, Lars, 2000.
"TV Advertising, Program Quality, and Product-Market Oligopoly,"
Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series
qt2zp943hj, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Tore Nilssen & Lars Sørgard, 2003. "TV Advertising, Program Quality, and Product-Market Oligopoly," Industrial Organization 0303012, EconWPA.
- Gallet, Craig A. & List, John A., 2001. "Market share instability: an application of unit root tests to the cigarette industry," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 53(5), pages 473-480.
- Nilssen,T. & Sorgard,L., 2001. "The TV industry : advertising and programming," Memorandum 18/2001, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Dubois, Pierre & Griffith, Rachel & O'Connell, Martin, 2014. "The Effects of Banning Advertising on Demand, Supply and Welfare: Structural Estimation on a Junk Food Market," TSE Working Papers 14-485, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Stephen Farr & Carol Horton Tremblay & Victor Tremblay, 2001. "The Welfare Effect of Advertising Restrictions in the U.S. Cigarette Industry," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 147-160, March.
- Chu, Hsiao-Ping & Yeh, Ming-Liang & Sher, Peter J. & Chiu, Yi-Chia, 2007. "Will the leading firm continue to dominate the market in the Taiwan notebook industry?," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 383(2), pages 473-479.
- Pedro Gonzaga & António Brandão & Helder Vasconcelos, 2014. "Theory of Semi-Collusion in the Labor Market," FEP Working Papers 522, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Harry Clarke & David Prentice, 2012.
"Will Plain Packaging Reduce Cigarette Consumption?,"
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 31(3), pages 303-317, 09.
- Harry Clarke & David Prentice, 2012. "Will Plain Packaging Reduce Cigarette Consumption?," Working Papers 2012.03, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.