Do Devaluations Improve the Trade Balance? The Evidence Revisited
AbstractThis paper reexamines the effectiveness of devaluation in trade-balance adjustment. The question is addressed in a framework that improves the previous empirical literature in several respects. The evidence indicates that devaluations have been a successful tool in inducing trade-balance adjustment. In particular, nominal devaluations are found to result in significant real devaluations that last for at least three years, and the real devaluation induces significant trade flows that are distributed over a two- to three-year period. The evidence comes from two different samples, 1953-73 and 1975-84, involving twenty-seven countries and sixty devaluation episodes. Copyright 1989 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Economic Inquiry.
Volume (Year): 27 (1989)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://ei.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Groenewold, Nicolaas & He, Lei, 2007. "The US-China trade imbalance: Will revaluing the RMB help (much)?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 127-132, July.
- Tarlok Singh, 2007. "Intertemporal Optimizing Models Of Trade And Current Account Balance: A Survey," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 25-64, 02.
- Jiranyakul, Komain & Brahmasrene, Tantatape, 2002. "An Analysis of the Determinants of Thailand’s Exports and Imports wtih Major Trading Partners," MPRA Paper 45080, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Tatchawan Kantipong, 2001. "Bilateral J-Curve Between Thailand and Her Trading Partners," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 107-117, December.
- Nicolaas Groenewold & Lei He, 2006. "The US-China Trade Imbalance: Will Revaluing the RMB Help (Much)?," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 06-27, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Zohre Ardalani, 2007. "Is there a J-Curve at the Industry Level?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(26), pages 1-12.
- Devereux, John & Connolly, Michael, 1996. "Commercial policy, the terms of trade and the real exchange rate revisited," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 81-99, June.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Rajarshi Mitra, 2009. "The J-Curve at the industry level: evidence from U.S.-India trade," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(2), pages 1520-1529.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2007:i:26:p:1-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mohsen Bahmani & Hanafiah Harvey & Scott W. Hegerty, 2013. "Empirical tests of the Marshall-Lerner condition: a literature review," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 40(3), pages 411-443, May.
- Aniekan Okon Akpansung & Sikiru Jimoh Babalola, 2013. "Effects of Real Exchange Rate on Trade Balance: Empirical Evidence from Nigeria," Asian Journal of Empirical Research, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 3(5), pages 605-617, May.
- Ubaidillah, Nur Zaimah & Ab. Rahim, Rossazana, 2012. "A Multivariate Cointegration Analysis Of The Role Of Exports To Main Trading Partners In The Malaysian Macroeconomics," MPRA Paper 39706, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mehmet Yazici, 2008. "The Exchange Rate and the Trade Balances of Turkish Agriculture, Manufacturing and Mining," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 45-52, February.
- Hernán Rincón, . "Testing the Short-Long-Run Exchange Rate Effects on Trade Balance: The Case of Colombia," Borradores de Economia 120, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Zhaoyong Zhang, 1996. "The Exchange Value of the Renminbi and China's Balance of Trade: An Emp irical Study," NBER Working Papers 5771, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.