Patents, firm size and financial constraints: an empirical analysis for a panel of Italian manufacturing firms
AbstractThe paper empirically investigates the issue of financial constraints to investment, focusing on its relationship with innovation activities. The study is based on the analysis of a cross-industries panel of 804 Italian companies, observed through the years 1995--2000. The main objective of the study is to highlight whether there are financial determinants underlying the strong bias of patenting activity towards larger companies in the Italian economy. By applying a dynamic panel analysis, we found that only the firms showing lower financial constraints are able to keep a sustained patenting profile through time. Our evidence suggests the existence of an imperfect capital market in the Italian economy, particularly in the case of medium-sized companies, which tend to delay inefficiently the start of in-house R&D activities. Copyright 2007, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Cambridge Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 31 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alex Coad, 2007.
"Neoclassical vs evolutionary theories of financial constraints : critique and prospectus,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
r07008, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Coad, Alex, 2010. "Neoclassical vs evolutionary theories of financial constraints: Critique and prospectus," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 206-218, August.
- José Ángel Zúñiga-Vicente & César Alonso-Borrego & Francisco J. Forcadell & José I. Galán, 2014.
"Assessing The Effect Of Public Subsidies On Firm R&D Investment: A Survey,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(1), pages 36-67, 02.
- César Alonso-Borrego & José I. Galán-Zazo & Francisco Javier Forcadell & José Ángel Zúñiga-Vicente, 2012. "Assessing the effect of public subsidies on firm R&D investment : a survey," Economics Working Papers we1215, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Georgios Efthyvoulou & Priit Vahter, 2012. "Financial Constraints, Innovation Performance, and Sectoral Disaggregation," Working Papers 2012030, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics.
- G. Dosi & M. Grazzi & D. Moschella, 2014.
"Technology and costs in international competitiveness: from countries and sectors to firms,"
wp941, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Giovanni Dosi & Marco Grazzi & Daniele Moschella, 2014. "Technology and costs in international competitiveness: from countries and sectors to firms," LEM Papers Series 2014/10, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Torben Klarl & Alfred Maussner, 2010.
"Firm Heterogeneity, Credit Constraints, and Endogenous Growth,"
Discussion Paper Series
311, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Jürgen Antony & Torben Klarl & Alfred Maußner, 2012. "Firm heterogeneity, credit constraints, and endogenous growth," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 105(3), pages 199-224, April.
- Jürgen Antony & Torben Klarl & Alfred Maußner, 2010. "Firm Heterogeneity, Credit Constraints, and Endogenous Growth," DEGIT Conference Papers c015_045, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Cristiano Antonelli & Giuseppe Scellato, 2009.
"Out of Equilibrium Profit and Innovation,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
814577000000000071, David K. Levine.
- Antonelli, Cristiano & Scellato, Giuseppe, 2008. "Out of Equilibrium Profit and Innovation," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 200804, University of Turin.
- Filipe Silva & Carlos Carreira, 2011.
"Do financial constraints threat the innovation process? Evidence from Portuguese firms,"
GEMF Working Papers
2011-10, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra, revised Oct 2011.
- Filipe Silva & Carlos Carreira, 2012. "Do financial constraints threat the innovation process? Evidence from Portuguese firms," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(8), pages 701-736, November.
- Martin Andersson & Hans Lööf, 2012. "Small business innovation: firm level evidence from Sweden," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 37(5), pages 732-754, October.
- Buzzacchi, Luigi & Scellato, Giuseppe & Ughetto, Elisa, 2013. "The investment strategies of publicly sponsored venture capital funds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 707-716.
- Russell Thomson & Elizabeth Webster, 2011. "External Ventures: Why Firms Don't Develop All Their Inventions In-house," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2011n19, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Lööf, Hans & Nabavi , Pardis, 2014. "How to Persistently Finance Innovation: A Panel-Data Study on Exporting Firms in Sweden," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 346, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Alessandra Tognazzo & Federica Destro & Paolo Gubitta, 2012. "Patenting in family firms," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0155, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Filipe Silva & Carlos Carreira, 2012.
"Measuring Firms' Financial Constraints: A Rough Guide,"
Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra, issue 36, pages 23-46, December.
- Filipe Silva & Carlos Carreira, 2012. "Measuring Firms' Financial Constraints: A Rough Guide," GEMF Working Papers 2012-14, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.