The role of human and social capital in growth: extending our understanding
AbstractHuman capital, institutions and social capital are now all recognised as significant factors of growth. They have largely been studied separately, and although they present sufficient common characteristics to be conceptualised as one main category distinct from physical capital, it may still be more important to focus on the links between their specific sub-categories. Direct links with income may be spurious, as there appears to be a 'web of associations' between the sub-categories, which would benefit from further empirical investigation. This paper reviews the literature on human capital, institutions and social capital, extracting three sub-categories of human capital (human skills capital, stock-of-knowledge and entrepreneurship) and two of social capital (low- and high-rationalisation). Specific areas are then suggested for further empirical study. Copyright 2002, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Cambridge Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 26 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Junyi Shen & Xiangdong Qin, 2013. "Cooperation, Trust, and Economic Development: An Experimental Study in China," Discussion Paper Series DP2013-14, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- E. Santarelli & H. T. Tran, 2012.
"The Interplay of Human and Social Capital in Shaping Entrepreneurial Performance: The Case of Vietnam,"
wp803, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Enrico Santarelli & Hien Tran, 2013. "The interplay of human and social capital in shaping entrepreneurial performance: the case of Vietnam," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 435-458, February.
- Beugelsdijk, Sjoerd & van Schaik, Ton, 2005. "Social capital and growth in European regions: an empirical test," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 301-324, June.
- A. Willem & H. Scarbrough, 2005. "Social capital and political bias in knowledge sharing: An exploratory study," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 05/355, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Heilbrunn, Sibylle, 2005. "Entrepreneurship, Social Capital and Community Development: The case of Israeli Kibbutz," Journal of Rural Cooperation, Hebrew University, Center for Agricultural Economic Research, vol. 33(2).
- Dieter Sadowski & Oliver Ludewig, 2003. "Organisational Capital: The Power of an Economic Metaphor: Organisational Capital in German Establishments," IAAEG Discussion Papers until 2011 200302, Institute of Labour Law and Industrial Relations in the European Union (IAAEU).
- Barbuta Misu, Nicoleta, 2008.
"The enterprise’ performance in the knowledge based society,"
17807, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nicoleta Barbuta-Misu, 2008. "The Enterprise’ Performance in the Knowledge Based Society," Economics and Applied Informatics, "Dunarea de Jos" University of Galati, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, issue 1, pages 95-102.
- Lehtonen, Markku, 2004. "The environmental-social interface of sustainable development: capabilities, social capital, institutions," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 199-214, June.
- Rooks, Gerrit & Szirmai, Adam & Sserwanga, Arthur, 2009. "The Interplay of Human and Social Capital in Entrepreneurship in Developing Countries: The Case of Keywords: social capital, human capital, entrepreneurship, developing countries," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Das, Nimai, 2009. "Understanding of Social Capital in Gender-based Participatory JFM Programme: An Evidence from West Bengal," MPRA Paper 15304, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Willem, A. & Van den Broeck, H., 2007.
"Learning mode of small business owners,"
Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series
2007-9, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- A. Willem & H. Van Den Broeck, 2007. "Learning mode of small business owners," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 07/453, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Sabatini Fabio, 2007.
"The empirics of social capital and economic development: A critical perspective,"
0031, Department of Communication, University of Teramo.
- Fabio Sabatini, 2006. "The Empirics of Social Capital and Economic Development: A Critical Perspective," Working Papers 2006.15, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Petrakis, P.E. & Stamatakis, D., 2005. "Human capital, growth and convergence traps: Implications from a cross-country analysis," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Kiel 2005 26, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Rogers, Mark Llewellyn, 2008.
"Directly unproductive schooling: How country characteristics affect the impact of schooling on growth,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 356-385, February.
- Mark Rogers, 2003. "Directly Unproductive Schooling: How Country Characteristics Affect the Impact of Schooling on Growth," Economics Series Working Papers 166, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Fabio Sabatini, 2005. "The empirics of social capital and economic development: a critical perspective," Development and Comp Systems 0512008, EconWPA.
- Beugelsdijk, S. & Schaik, A.B.T.M. van, 2001.
"Social Capital and Regional Economic Growth,"
2001-102, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Sarker, Debnarayan & Das, Nimai, 2004. "Social Capital and Joint Forest Management Programme: A Comparative Study on Female-headed and Joint Forest Protection Committees in West Bengal," MPRA Paper 14780, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2005.
- Espen Villanger & Anette Walstad Enes, 2004. "The role of participation and empowerment in income and poverty dynamics in Indonesia 1993-2000," CMI Working Papers WP 2004: 13, CMI (Chr. Michelsen Institute), Bergen, Norway.
- Fabio Sabatini, 2005. "The empirics of social capital and economic development. A critical perspective," Development and Comp Systems 0512015, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.