The Perception and Measurement of Transaction Costs
AbstractThis paper discusses various explanations of how transaction cost-minimizing corporate configurations come about. It contrasts Darwinian with rational explanations, finding both unsatisfactory. What matters, rather than computation of fully recognized transaction costs, are managerial perceptions of transaction costs. These perceptions are not expressed in numbers but in language. This is related to arguments derived from bounded rationality and from transaction cost economics. The paper argues that issues of managerial perception must become central to analysis. Existing academic traditions which accord primacy to perception and to language are drawn upon and argued to be of great relevance to future work. Copyright 1997 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Cambridge Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 21 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- T Quince, 2001. "Entrepreneurial Collaboration: Terms of Endearment or Rules of Engagement?," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp207, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Mettepenningen, Evy & Beckmann, Volker & Eggers, Jorg, 2008. "Public transaction cost of agri-environmental schemes and its determinants - Analysing stakeholders’ involvement and perceptions," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44321, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Foundjem Tita, Divine & D'Haese, Marijke & Degrande, Ann & Tchoundjeu, Zac & Van Damme, Patrick, 2011. "Farmers' satisfaction with group market arrangements as a measure of group market performance: A transaction cost analysis of Non Timber Forest Products' producer groups in Cameroon," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(7), pages 545-553, September.
- Zezza, Alberto & Llambi, Luis, 2002.
"Meso-Economic Filters Along the Policy Chain: Understanding the Links Between Policy Reforms and Rural Poverty in Latin America,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 1865-1884, November.
- Alberto Zezza & Luis Llambi, 2001. "Meso-Economic Filters Along the Policy Chain: Understanding the links between policy reforms and rural poverty in Latin America," Working Papers 02-08, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
- Aggarwal, Raj & Berrill, Jenny & Hutson, Elaine & Kearney, Colm, 2011. "What is a multinational corporation? Classifying the degree of firm-level multinationality," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 557-577, October.
- Peter Buckley & Malcolm Chapman, 1998. "The Management of Cooperative Strategies in R&D and Innovation Programmes," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(3), pages 369-381.
- Sorrell, Steve, 2007. "The economics of energy service contracts," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 507-521, January.
- Boersma, Margreet F. & Buckley, Peter J. & Ghauri, Pervez N., 2003. "Trust in international joint venture relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(12), pages 1031-1042, December.
- Foundjem-Tita, Divine & Speelman, Stijn & D'Haese, Marijke & Degrande, Ann & Van Huylenbroeck, Guido & Van Damme, Patrick & Tchoundjeu, Zac, 2014. "A tale of transaction costs and forest law compliance: Trade permits for Non Timber Forests Products in Cameroon," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 132-142.
- Stephen Roper, 2005. "Cross-Border and Local Cooperation on the island of Ireland - A Behavioural Perspective," ERSA conference papers ersa05p475, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.