Efficient estimation of covariance selection models
AbstractA Bayesian method is proposed for estimating an inverse covariance matrix from Gaussian data. The method is based on a prior that allows the off-diagonal elements of the inverse covariance matrix to be zero, and in many applications results in a parsimonious parameterisation of the covariance matrix. No assumption is made about the structure of the corresponding graphical model, so the method applies to both nondecomposable and decomposable graphs. All the parameters are estimated by model averaging using an efficient Metropolis--Hastings sampling scheme. A simulation study demonstrates that the method produces statistically efficient estimators of the covariance matrix, when the inverse covariance matrix is sparse. The methodology is illustrated by applying it to three examples that are high-dimensional relative to the sample size. Copyright Biometrika Trust 2003, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Biometrika Trust in its journal Biometrika.
Volume (Year): 90 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://biomet.oxfordjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gao, Jiti, 2007. "Nonlinear time series: semiparametric and nonparametric methods," MPRA Paper 39563, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 2007.
- Helen Armstrong & Christopher K. Carter & Kevin K. F. Wong & Robert Kohn, 2007. "Bayesian Covariance Matrix Estimation using a Mixture of Decomposable Graphical Models," Discussion Papers 2007-13, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Fan, Jianqing & Fan, Yingying & Lv, Jinchi, 2008. "High dimensional covariance matrix estimation using a factor model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 186-197, November.
- Dimitris Korobilis, 2013.
"Var Forecasting Using Bayesian Variable Selection,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(2), pages 204-230, 03.
- Korobilis, Dimitris, 2009. "VAR forecasting using Bayesian variable selection," MPRA Paper 21124, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dimitris Korobilis, 2010. "VAR Forecasting Using Bayesian Variable Selection," Working Paper Series 51_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Apr 2011.
- KOROBILIS, Dimitris, 2011. "VAR forecasting using Bayesian variable selection," CORE Discussion Papers 2011022, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pesaran, M. H. & Yamagata, T., 2012. "Testing CAPM with a Large Number of Assets (Updated 28th March 2012)," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1210, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Carter, Christopher K. & Wong, Frederick & Kohn, Robert, 2011. "Constructing priors based on model size for nondecomposable Gaussian graphical models: A simulation based approach," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 102(5), pages 871-883, May.
- Wang, Y. & Daniels, M.J., 2013. "Bayesian modeling of the dependence in longitudinal data via partial autocorrelations and marginal variances," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 116(C), pages 130-140.
- Bai, Zhidong & Li, Hua & Wong, Wing-Keung, 2013. "The best estimation for high-dimensional Markowitz mean-variance optimization," MPRA Paper 43862, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniels, M.J. & Pourahmadi, M., 2009. "Modeling covariance matrices via partial autocorrelations," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(10), pages 2352-2363, November.
- Daye, Z. John & Jeng, X. Jessie, 2009. "Shrinkage and model selection with correlated variables via weighted fusion," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 1284-1298, February.
- Clifford Lam & Jianqing Fan, 2009. "Sparsistency and rates of convergence in large covariance matrix estimation," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 31540, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- M Hashem Pesaran & Takashi Yamagata, 2012.
"Testing CAPM with a Large Number of Assets,"
12/05, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Leung, Pui-Lam & Ng, Hon-Yip & Wong, Wing-Keung, 2012. "An improved estimation to make Markowitz’s portfolio optimization theory users friendly and estimation accurate with application on the US stock market investment," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 222(1), pages 85-95.
- Yu, Philip L.H. & Li, W.K. & Ng, F.C., 2014. "Formulating hypothetical scenarios in correlation stress testing via a Bayesian framework," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 17-33.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.