Clarifying Trade Costs: Maritime Transport and Its Effect on Agricultural Trade
AbstractGreater attention has been given to trade costs in both the empirical trade literature and in theoretical models of international trade in recent years, with interest increasingly being directed towards the role of nonpolicy barriers such as transport costs. However, if distance is a proxy for transport and other trade costs, then the true effect of transport costs is impossible to determine. We attempt to remedy this by utilizing the newly compiled Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development Maritime Transport Cost database to investigate the role that maritime freight costs play in determining ocean-shipped agricultural imports. We find that transport costs robustly and significantly negatively impact agricultural imports, even after controlling for shipping distance. Copyright 2010, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy.
Volume (Year): 32 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://aepp.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Jane Korinek & Patricia Sourdin, 2009. "Clarifying Trade Costs: Maritime Transport and its Effect on Agricultural Trade," OECD Trade Policy Papers 92, OECD Publishing.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Li, Zhigang & Yu, Xiaohua & Zeng, Yinchu & Holst, Rainer, 2012.
"Estimating transport costs and trade barriers in China: Direct evidence from Chinese agricultural traders,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 1003-1010.
- Zhigang Li & Xiaohua Yu & Yinchu Zeng & Rainer Holst, 2012. "Estimating transport costs and trade barriers in China: Direct evidence from Chinese agricultural traders," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 112, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Zhigang Li & Xiaohua Yu & Yinchu Zeng & Rainer Holst, 2012. ": Estimating transport costs and trade barriers in China. Direct evidence from Chinese agricultural traders," Working Papers 1209, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Sami Bensassi, 2013.
"The Price Of Modern Maritime Piracy,"
Defence and Peace Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(5), pages 397-418, October.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Sami Bensassi, 2011. "The price of modern maritime piracy," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 213, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Richard Pomfret & Patricia Sourdin, 2010.
"Why do trade costs vary?,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 146(4), pages 709-730, December.
- Christophe Gouel & Sébastien Jean, 2012.
"Optimal Food Price Stabilization in a Small Open Developing Country,"
2012-01, CEPII research center.
- Gouel, Christophe & Jean, Sebastien, 2012. "Optimal food price stabilization in a small open developing country," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5943, The World Bank.
- Biewald, Anne & Rolinski, Susanne & Lotze-Campen, Hermann & Schmitz, Christoph, 2011. "Implementing Bilateral Trade in a Global Landuse Model," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114251, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Marcias, Manuel & Chevassus-Lozza, Emmanuelle & Latouche, Karine, 2011. "Trade and Transport Modes, A Differentiated Impact of Distance," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114370, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.