Poverty, Risk Aversion, and Path Dependence in Low-Income Countries: Experimental Evidence from Ethiopia
AbstractIn most low-income countries, rural households depend on mixed rain-fed agriculture/livestock production, which is very risky. Due to numerous market failures, there are few ways to shift risks to third parties. The literature has focused on what determines the responses of households in such environments. Of special concern are path dependencies in which households experiencing failure are prone to further failure and potential poverty traps. This paper estimates levels and determinants of risk aversion in the highlands of Ethiopia. We find high risk aversion and evidence that constraints have important impacts on risk-averting behavior with perhaps significant implications for long-term poverty. The results also suggest the possibility of path dependence and offer insights into links between risk aversion and poverty traps. Copyright 2009, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 91 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yuki Tanaka & Alistair Munro, 2012. "Regional Variation In Risk And Time Preferences: Evidence From A Large-Scale Field Experiment In Rural Uganda," GRIPS Discussion Papers 11-19, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Liebenehm, Sabine & Waibel, Hermann, 2013. "Risk and Time Preferences of West African Cattle Farmers," 53rd Annual Conference, Berlin, Germany, September 25-27, 2013 156110, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- David Dillenberger & Kareen Rozen, 2011. "History-Dependent Risk Attitude, Second Version," PIER Working Paper Archive 12-029, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania, revised 14 Jul 2012.
- Raymundo M. Campos-Vazquez & Emilio Cuilty, 2013.
"The role of emotions on risk aversion: a prospect theory experiment,"
Serie documentos de trabajo del Centro de Estudios EconÃ³micos
2013-05, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos.
- Campos-Vazquez, Raymundo M. & Cuilty, Emilio, 2013. "The Role of Emotions on Risk Aversion: A prospect theory experiment," MPRA Paper 48280, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nguyen, Quang, 2009. "Do fishermen have different preferences?: Insights from an experimental study and household data," MPRA Paper 16012, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vieider, Ferdinand M. & Chmura, Thorsten & Martinsson, Peter, 2012. "Risk attitudes, development, and growth: Macroeconomic evidence from experiments in 30 countries," Discussion Papers, WZB Junior Research Group Risk and Development SP II 2012-401, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Michael Grimm & Simon Lange & Jann Lay, 2011. "Credit-constrained in risky activities? The determinants of capital stocks of micro and small firms in Western Africa," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 104, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Yesuf, Mahmud & Kassie, Menale & Köhlin, Gunnar, 2009.
"Risk Implications of Farm Technology Adoption in the Ethiopian Highlands,"
Working Papers in Economics
404, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Yesuf, Mahmud & Kassie, Menale & Köhlin, Gunnar, 2009. "Risk Implications of Farm Technology Adoption in the Ethiopian Highlands," Discussion Papers dp-09-13-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Juma, Maurice & Nyangena, Wilfred & Yesuf, Mahmud, 2090. "Production Risk and Farm Technology Adoption in Rain-Fed, Semi-Arid Lands of Kenya," Discussion Papers dp-09-22-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Maart, Syster Christin & Musshoff, Oliver & Odening, Martin & Schade, Christian, 2011. "Closing down the Farm: An Experimental Analysis of Disinvestment Timing," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114375, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Quang Nguyen, 2011. "Does nurture matter: Theory and experimental investigation on the effect of working environment on risk and time preferences," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 245-270, December.
- Bryan, Elizabeth & Ringler, Claudia & Okoba, Barrack & Koo, Jawoo & Herrero, Mario & Silvestri, Silvia, 2011. "Agricultural management for climate change adaptation, greenhouse gas mitigation, and agricultural productivity: Insights from Kenya," IFPRI discussion papers 1098, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Gheyssens, Jonathan & Gunther, Isabel, 2012. "Risk experiments in gains and losses: A case study for Benin," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Teklewold, Hailemariam, 2011. "Farming or burning? shadow prices and farmer’s impatience on the allocation of multi-purpose resource in the mixed farming system of Ethiopia," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 116080, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Mintewab Bezabih & Abe Damte Beyene & Zenebe Gebreegziabher & Livousew Borga, 2013. "Social Capital, climate change and soil conservation investment: panel data evidence from the Highlands of Ethiopia," Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment Working Papers 115, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Vieider, Ferdinand M. & Truong, Nghi & Martinsson, Peter & Pham Khanh Nam & Martinsson, Peter, 2013. "Risk preferences and development revisited: A field experiment in Vietnam," Discussion Papers, WZB Junior Research Group Risk and Development SP II 2013-403, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Liebenehm, Sabine & Waibel, Hermann, 2012. "Simultaneous estimation of risk and time preferences among small-scale cattle farmers in West Africa," Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover dp-501, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- de Brauw, Alan & Eozenou, Patrick, 2011. "Measuring risk attitudes among Mozambican farmers:," HarvestPlus Working Papers 6, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Norton, Michael T. & Holthaus, Eric & Madajewicz, Malgosia & Osgood, Daniel E. & Peterson, Nicole & Gebremichael, Mengesha & Mullally, Conner & Teh, TseLing, 2011. "Investigating Demand for Weather Index Insurance: Experimental Evidence from Ethiopia," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 104022, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Joseph Cook & Susmita Chatterjee & Dipika Sur & Dale Whittington, 2013. "Measuring risk aversion among the urban poor in Kolkata, India," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 20(1), pages 1-9, January.
- Roland Olbrich & Martin F. Quaas & Andreas Haensler & Stefan Baumgaertner, 2011. "Risk preferences under heterogeneous environmental risk," Working Paper Series in Economics 208, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.