The Demand for Food Quality in Rural China
AbstractMany studies of food demand do not use actual prices but unit values, obtained by dividing expenditures by the quantity consumed. This can bias empirical analyses because unit values are not exogenous market prices; they reflect household food quality choices within each food category. This article develops a framework for assessing the resulting bias in income and price elasticities of demand and applies the framework to data for rural China. Empirical results indicate that households in rural China tend to consume higher-quality food as income increases, with a greater sensitivity to income for basic foods than for luxury foods. Copyright 2009, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 91 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zhigang Li & Xiaohua Yu & Yinchu Zeng & Rainer Holst, 2012.
"Estimating transport costs and trade barriers in China: Direct evidence from Chinese agricultural traders,"
Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers
112, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Li, Zhigang & Yu, Xiaohua & Zeng, Yinchu & Holst, Rainer, 2012. "Estimating transport costs and trade barriers in China: Direct evidence from Chinese agricultural traders," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 1003-1010.
- Zhigang Li & Xiaohua Yu & Yinchu Zeng & Rainer Holst, 2012. ": Estimating transport costs and trade barriers in China. Direct evidence from Chinese agricultural traders," Working Papers 1209, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Xiaohua Yu & Guoqing Zhao, 2009. "Chinese agricultural development in 30 years: A literature review," Frontiers of Economics in China, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 633-648, December.
- Zhao, Jing & Thompson, Wyatt, 2013. "The Effect of Refrigerator Use on Meat Consumption in Rural China," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 142931, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Liu, Yuanyuan & Zeng, Yinchu & Yu, Xiaohua, 2009. "Consumer Willingness to Pay for Food Safety in Beijing: A Case Study of Food Additives," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51234, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Matthias Staudigel, 2012.
"How do obese people afford to be obese? Consumption strategies of Russian households,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 43(6), pages 701-714, November.
- Staudigel, Matthias, 2011. "How do obese people afford to be obese? Consumption strategies of Russian households," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 116065, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Konstantin M. Wacker, 2011. "Do multinationals beat down developing countries' export prices? The impact of FDI on net barter terms of trade," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 211, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Vandeplas, Anneleen & Minten, Bart, 2011.
"Food quality in domestic markets of developing economies: A comparative study of two countries,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/319562, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Anneleen Vandeplas & Bart Minten, 2011. "Food quality in domestic markets of developing economies:A comparative study of two countries," LICOS Discussion Papers 28911, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Vandeplas, Anneleen & Minten, Bart & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009. "On food quality in domestic markets of developing economies," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51700, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Staudigel, Matthias, 2010. "The Demand For Food Quality In Russia And Its Linkage To Obesity," 115th Joint EAAE/AAEA Seminar, September 15-17, 2010, Freising-Weihenstephan, Germany 116444, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Meng, Ting & Florkowski, Wojciech J. & Kolavalli, Shashidhara & Ibrahim, Mohammed, 2012. "Food Expenditures and Income in Rural Households in the Northern Region of Ghana," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124638, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Tian, Xu & Yu, Xiaohua & Holst, Rainer, 2011. "Applying the payment card approach to estimate the WTP for green food in China," IAMO Forum 2011: Will the "BRICs Decade" Continue? â Prospects for Trade and Growth 23, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Xiaohua Yu & David Abler, 2010. "Interactions between cigarette and alcohol consumption in rural China," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 151-160, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.