AbstractBecause of the potential malleability of stated and revealed preferences for new food technologies and attributes, this research sought to determine consumers' food value systems by utilizing recent advances in best-worst scaling. Based on previous literature related to human values and food preferences, a list of eleven food values was compiled. Results reveal that on average the values of safety, nutrition, taste, and price were among the most important to consumers, whereas the values of fairness, tradition, and origin were among the least important; however, there was significant heterogeneity in the relative importance placed on food values. Results indicate that food values are significantly related to consumers' stated and revealed preferences for organic food. Copyright 2009, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 91 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Connolly, Cristina & Klaiber, H. Allen, 2012. "Are Consumers Willing to Pay for Organic When the Food is Already Local?," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124364, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Schmit, Todd M. & Taber, John T. & Rickard, Bradley J., 2012. "Consumer valuation of environmentally friendly production practices in wines considering asymmetric information and sensory effects," Working Papers 128813, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Caputo, Vincenzina & Aprile, Maria Carmela & Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr., 2011. "Consumers’ Valuation for European food quality labels: Importance of Label Information Provision," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114324, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Erdem, Seda & Rigby, Dan, 2011. "Using Best Worst Scaling To Investigate Perceptions Of Control & Concern Over Food And Non-Food Risks," 85th Annual Conference, April 18-20, 2011, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 108790, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Cembalo, Luigi & Lombardi, Alessia & Pascucci, Stefano & Dentoni, Domenico & Migliore, Giuseppina & Verneau, Fabio & Schifani, Giorgio, 2012. "The Beauty of the Commons? Consumers’ participation in Food Community Networks," 2012 AAEA/EAAE Food Environment Symposium, May 30-31, Boston, MA 123531, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Staudigel, Matthias, 2012. "On The Application Of Household Production Theory To Health And Nutrition," 52nd Annual Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, September 26-28, 2012 137389, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Duvaleix-Treguer, Sabine & Hammoudi, Hakim & Rouached, Lamia & Soler, Louis-Georges, 2010.
"Firms’ Responses To Nutritional Policies,"
115th Joint EAAE/AAEA Seminar, September 15-17, 2010, Freising-Weihenstephan, Germany
116399, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Sackett, Hillary M., 2011. "Consumer Perceptions of Sustainable Farming Practices: A Best-Worst Scenario," Graduate Research Masters Degree Plan B Papers 115966, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Konduru, Srinivasa & Kalaitzandonakes, Nicholas G. & Magnier, Alexandre, 2009. "GMO Testing Strategies and Implications for Trade: A Game Theoretic Approach," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49594, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Lagerkvist, Carl Johan & Hess, Sebastian & Ngigi, Marther W. & Okello, Julius Juma, 2011. "Consumers’ Willingness to Pay for Food Safety in Nairobi: The Case of Fresh Vegetables," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114409, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lydia Zepeda & Anna Reznickova & Willow Russell, 2013. "CSA membership and psychological needs fulfillment: an application of self-determination theory," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 605-614, December.
- Mueller, Simone C. & Umberger, Wendy J., 2010. "“Pick the Tick” The Impact of Health Endorsements on Consumers’ Food Choices," 115th Joint EAAE/AAEA Seminar, September 15-17, 2010, Freising-Weihenstephan, Germany 116436, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Costanigro, Marco & Kroll, Stephan & Thilmany, Dawn D., 2012. "Local, Organic, Conventional— Asymmetric Effects of Information and Taste on Label Preferences in an Experimental Auction," 2012 AAEA/EAAE Food Environment Symposium, May 30-31, Boston, MA 123199, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Lusk, Jayson L., 2012. "The political ideology of food," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 530-542.
- Lydia Zepeda & Cong Nie, 2012. "What are the odds of being an organic or local food shopper? Multivariate analysis of US food shopper lifestyle segments," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 467-480, December.
- Sackett, Hillary M. & Shupp, Robert S. & Tonsor, Glynn T., 2012. "Discrete Choice Modeling of Consumer Preferences for Sustainably Produced Steak and Apples," 2012 AAEA/EAAE Food Environment Symposium, May 30-31, Boston, MA 123517, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Erdem, Seda & Rigby, Dan & Wossink, Ada, 2012. "Using best–worst scaling to explore perceptions of relative responsibility for ensuring food safety," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 661-670.
- Chang, Jae Bong & Lusk, Jayson L., 2009. "Fairness and food choice," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 483-491, December.
- Costanigro, Marco & Deselnicu, Oana & Kroll, Stephan, 2012. "Truthful, Misguiding Labels: The Implications of Labeling Production Processes rather than their Outcomes," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124615, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- An, Henry & Pouliot, Sebastien & Volpe, Richard J., III, 2012. "Local, Organic, Inexpensive and Safe: Can Large Retailers Do It All?," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124754, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Veeman, Michele M. & Hu, Wuyang & Adamowicz, Wiktor L., 2006. "Consumers' Preferences for GM Food and Voluntary Information Acquisition: A Simultaneous Choice Analysis," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25786, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Marti, Joachim, 2012. "A best–worst scaling survey of adolescents' level of concern for health and non-health consequences of smoking," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 87-97.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.