Estimation of Area Elasticities from a Standard Profit Function
AbstractThis article demonstrates that both crop area and output elasticities can be calculated from a profit function. A Chambers/Just profit function (which includes land allocations as quasi-fixed factors) is used to derive shadow price equations for each crop area allocation. Jointly solving these shadow price equations for crop area makes it possible to calculate individual crop area elasticities. A profit function is specified to represent agricultural producers in the state of Iowa. Shadow price equations are jointly estimated with output supply and input demand equations. From these estimated equations, we derive the individual crop area response and output response to a change in prices. Copyright 2007, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 89 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lee, Young-Jae & Kennedy, P. Lynn, 2013. "The Role Of Uncertainty In The Agricultural Output Market In Acreage Allocation Decisions," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 142130, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Vincent Martinet, 2010. "Soil heterogeneity, agricultural supply and land-use change: an application to biofuels production," Working Papers 2010/05, INRA, Economie Publique.
- Lee, Young-Jae & Kennedy, P. Lynn, 2008. "An Analysis As To The Causal Relationship Between Bioethanol Expansion And Agricultural Crop Acreage Allocation In The United States," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6343, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Hongli Feng & Bruce A. Babcock, 2010.
"Impacts of Ethanol on Planted Acreage in Market Equilibrium,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(3), pages 789-802.
- Feng, Hongli & Babcock, Bruce A., 2008. "Impacts of Ethanol on Planted Acreage in Market Equilibrium," Staff General Research Papers 12959, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hongli Feng & Bruce A. Babcock, 2008. "Impacts of Ethanol on Planted Acreage in Market Equilibrium," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 08-wp472, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Bento, Antonio M. & Klotz, Richard & Landry, Joel R., 2011. "Are there Carbon Savings from US Biofuel Policies? Accounting for Leakage in Land and Fuel Markets," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 104008, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Boere, Esther & Peerlings, Jack H.M. & Reinhard, Stijn & Kuhlman, Tom & Heijman, Wim J.M., 2012. "Effects of volatile output prices on agricultural land-use change," 123rd Seminar, February 23-24, 2012, Dublin, Ireland 122472, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fezzi, Carlo & Bateman, Ian J., 2009. "Structural Agricultural Land Use Modelling," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51423, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Briones, Roehlano M., 2011. "Multimarket Modeling of Agricultural Supply when Crop Land Is a Quasi-fixed Input: A Note," Discussion Papers DP 2011-29, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Vincent Martinet, 2012.
"Effect of soil heterogeneity on the welfare economics of biofuel policies,"
2012/01, INRA, Economie Publique.
- Vincent Martinet, 2012. "Effect of soil heterogeneity on the welfare economics of biofuel policies," EconomiX Working Papers 2012-13, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Haile, Mekbib G. & Kalkuhl, Matthias & von Braun, Joachim, 2013. "Short-term global crop acreage response to international food prices and implications of volatility," Discussion Papers 145308, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- Haile, Mekbib G. & Kalkuhl, Matthias & Braun, Joachim von, 2013. "Inter-and intra-annual global crop acreage response to prices and price risk," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149695, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Ian Bateman & Georgina Mace & Carlo Fezzi & Giles Atkinson & Kerry Turner, 2011. "Economic Analysis for Ecosystem Service Assessments," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 48(2), pages 177-218, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.