Threshold Effects in Price Transmission: The Case of Brazilian Wheat, Maize, and Soya Prices
AbstractRecent studies into price transmission have recognized the important role played by transport and transaction costs. Threshold models are one approach to accommodate such costs. We develop a generalized Threshold Error Correction Model to test for the presence and form of threshold behavior in price transmission that is symmetric around equilibrium. We use monthly wheat, maize, and soya prices from the United States, Argentina, and Brazil to demonstrate this model. Classical estimation of these generalized models can present challenges but Bayesian techniques avoid many of these problems. Evidence for thresholds is found in three of the five commodity price pairs investigated. Copyright 2007, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 89 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Goetz, Linde & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2008. "Considering threshold effects in the long-run equilibrium in a vector error correction model: An application to the German apple market," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44247, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano & Cioffi, Antonio, 2. "Transmission Of Market Crises In The European Vegetables Sector," Politica Agricola Internazionale - International Agricultural Policy, Edizioni L’Informatore Agrario, issue 2.
- Ghoshray, Atanu, 2009. "Nonlinear Price Transmission in Wheat Export Prices," Department of Economics Working Papers 15967, University of Bath, Department of Economics.
- Stephan Brosig & Thomas Glauben & Linde Götz & Enno‐Burghard Weitzel & Ahmet Bayaner, 2011. "The Turkish wheat market: spatial price transmission and the impact of transaction costs," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(2), pages 147-161, Spring.
- Teresa Serra & David Zilberman & José Gil, 2011.
"Price volatility in ethanol markets,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 38(2), pages 259-280, June.
- Serra, Teresa & Zilberman, David, 2009. "Price volatility in ethanol markets," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49188, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Serra, Teresa & Zilberman, David, 2009. "Price volatility in ethanol markets," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 49940, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- repec:eid:wpaper:11/09 is not listed on IDEAS
- Liefert, William M. & Persuad, Suresh, 2009. "The Transmission of Exchange Rate Changes to Agricultural Prices," Economic Research Report 55942, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Larson, Donald F. & Sarris, Alexander, 2009. "The performance of Bulgarian food markets during reform," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4876, The World Bank.
- Wang, Kuan-Min & Lee, Yuan-Ming & Thi, Thanh-Binh Nguyen, 2011. "Time and place where gold acts as an inflation hedge: An application of long-run and short-run threshold model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 806-819, May.
- Greb, Friederike & Krivobokova, Tatyana & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan & Munk, Axel, 2011. "On threshold estimation in threshold vector error correction models," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114599, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Elmarzougui, Eskandar & Larue, Bruno, 2011.
"On the Evolving Relationship between Corn and Oil Prices,"
118580, University of Laval, Center for Research on the Economics of the Environment, Agri-food, Transports and Energy (CREATE).
- Eskandar Elmarzougui & Bruno Larue, 2013. "On the Evolving Relationship Between Corn and Oil Prices," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(3), pages 344-360, 06.
- Eskandar Elmarzougui & Bruno Larue, 2011. "On the Evolving Relationship between Corn and Oil Prices," Cahiers de recherche CREATE 2011-3, CREATE.
- Ihle, Rico & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2008. "A Comparison of Threshold Cointegration and Markov-Switching Vector Error Correction Models in Price Transmission Analysis," 2008 Conference, April 21-22, 2008, St. Louis, Missouri 37603, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Ihle, Rico & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2008. "Nonlinear Vector Error Correction Models in Price Transmission Analysis: Threshold Models vs. Markov-Switching Models," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44198, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ghoshray, Atanu, 2010. "Smooth transition effects in price transmission: The case of international wheat export prices," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 106(3), pages 169-171, March.
- Chia-Hsing Huang & Liang-Chun Ho, 2011. "Do bio-fuel policies lead to speculative behavior?," Journal of Financial Economic Policy, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(2), pages 161-174, July.
- Acosta, Alejandro, 2012. "Measuring spatial transmission of white maize prices between South Africa and Mozambique: An asymmetric error correction model approach," African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, African Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 7(1), October.
- Abunyuwah, Isaac, 2013. "Implications of conceptual and data complexities on time-series econometric applications in market integration analysis," Studies in Agricultural Economics, Research Institute for Agricultural Economics, vol. 115(1), February.
- Gotz, Linde & Qiu, Feng & Glauben, Thomas, 2012. "The Law of One Price under State-Dependent Policy Intervention: An Application to the Ukrainian Wheat Market," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124904, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Giulia LISTORTI, 2008. "Price Transmission Mechanisms: a Policy Investigation of International Wheat Markets," Working Papers 318, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Listorti, Giulia & Esposti, Roberto, 2012. "Horizontal Price Transmission in Agricultural Markets: Fundamental Concepts and Open Empirical Issues," Bio-based and Applied Economics Journal, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA), issue 1, April.
- Friederike Greb & Stephan von Cramon-Taubadel & Tatyana Krivobokova & Axel Munk, 2011. "The estimation of threshold models in price transmission analysis," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 103, Courant Research Centre PEG, revised 08 Oct 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.