Land Distribution and International Agricultural Productivity
AbstractThe unequal distribution of agricultural land is often cited as a source of inefficiency in agriculture. Previous cross-country studies of agricultural productivity differences, though, have not considered land inequality. This article addresses this issue by using cross-country data on inequality in operational holdings of agricultural land from Deininger and Squire (1998) . In an estimation of an agricultural production function, the Gini coefficient for land holdings is found to have a significant negative relationship with productivity. This is consistent with the existence of heterogeneity in productivity by farm size within countries. A one standard deviation drop in the Gini coefficient implies an increase in productivity of 8.5%. Copyright 2007, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 89 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Galan, Juan Sebastian, 2011. "The Long Trace of Inequality: Evidence from Cundinamarca, Colombia," Documentos CEDE Series 107398, Universidad de Los Andes, Economics Department.
- Deininger, Klaus & Nizalov, Denys & Singh, Sudhir K, 2013. "Are mega-farms the future of global agriculture ? exploring the farm size-productivity relationship," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6544, The World Bank.
- Subhash C. Ray & Arpita Ghose, 2010. "Production Efficiency in Indian Agriculture: An Assessment of the Post Green Evolution Years," Working papers 2010-26, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Blanco, Luisa, 2010. "Life is Unfair in Latin America, But Does it Matter for Growth?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 393-404, March.
- Motamed, Mesbah J. & Florax, Raymond J.G.M. & Masters, William A., 2012. "Borders and Barriers: Spatial Analysis of Agricultural Output Spillovers at the Grid Cell Level," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124790, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Deininger, Klaus & Jin, Songqing & Nagarajan, Hari K., 2007.
"Land reforms, poverty reduction, and economic growth : evidence from India,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4448, The World Bank.
- K. Deininger & S. Jin & H. K. Nagarajan, 2009. "Land Reforms, Poverty Reduction, and Economic Growth: Evidence from India," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(4), pages 496-521.
- Caselli, Mauro, 2009.
"Does wealth inequality reduce the gains from trade?,"
15329, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mauro Caselli, 2012. "Does wealth inequality reduce the gains from trade?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 148(2), pages 333-356, June.
- Mauro Caselli, 2008. "Does wealth inequality reduce the gains from trade?," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2008-30, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Mauro Caselli, 2008. "Does wealth inequality reduce the gains from trade?," CSAE Working Paper Series 2008-30, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Bergmann, Holger & Noack, Eva Maria & Thomson, Kenneth J., 2011. "The Distribution of CAP Payments - Redistributional Injustice or Spatially Adapted policy?," 85th Annual Conference, April 18-20, 2011, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 108958, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Klaus Deininger & Denys Nizalov & Sudhir K Singh, 2013. "Are mega-farms the future of global agriculture? Exploring the farm size-productivity relationship for large commercial farms in Ukraine," Discussion Papers 49, Kyiv School of Economics.
- Zdravko Sergo & Amorino Poropat & Anita Ilak, 2009. "Wheat Productivity and Plough Land Inequality in Rural Croatia," Interdisciplinary Management Research, Faculty of Economics in Osijek, Croatia, vol. 5, pages 781-791.
- Deininger, Klaus W. & Jin, Songqing & Yadav, Vandana, 2008. "Impact of Land Reform on Productivity, Land Value and Human Capital Investment: Household Level Evidence from West Bengal," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6277, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Cai, Wenbiao, 2010. "Skill Investment, Farm Size Distribution and Agricultural Productivity," MPRA Paper 26439, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pablo Martinelli, 2012. "Von Thünen South of the Alps : Access to Markets and Interwar Italian Agriculture," Working Papers in Economic History wp12-12, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Historia Económica e Instituciones.
- Deininger, Klaus & Yadav, Vandana, 2011. "Long-term Effects of Land Reform on Human Capital Accumulation: Evidence from West Bengal," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Dietrich Vollrath & Lennart Erickson, 2007. "Land Distribution and Financial System Development," IMF Working Papers 07/83, International Monetary Fund.
- Vollrath, Dietrich, 2008.
"Agrarian Structure and Endogenous Financial System Development,"
12430, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vollrath, Dietrich, 2008. "Agrarian Structure and Endogenous Financial System Development," MPRA Paper 11538, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dietz Vollrath, 2008. "Agrarian Structure and Endogenous Financial System Development," Working Papers 2008-02, Department of Economics, University of Houston.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.