No News Is Good News: Stochastic Parameters versus Media Coverage Indices in Demand Models after Food Scares
AbstractWe develop a stochastic parameter approach to model the time-varying impacts of food scares on consumption, as an alternative to the inclusion of news coverage indices in the demand function. We empirically test the methodology on data from four food scares, the 1982 heptachlor milk contamination in Oahu, Hawaii and the bovine spongiform encephalopathy and two Escherichia coli scares on U.S. meat demand over the period 1993–9. Results show that the inclusion of time-varying parameters in demand models enables the capturing of the impact of food safety information and provides better short-term forecasts. Copyright 2006, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 88 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jae H Kim & Iain Fraser & Rob J. Hyndman, 2010.
"Improved Interval Estimation of Long Run Response from a Dynamic Linear Model: A Highest Density Region Approach,"
2010.06, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Kim, Jae H. & Fraser, Iain & Hyndman, Rob J., 2011. "Improved interval estimation of long run response from a dynamic linear model: A highest density region approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(8), pages 2477-2489, August.
- Jae H Kim & Iain Fraser & Rob J. Hyndman, 2010. "Improved Interval Estimation of Long Run Response from a Dynamic Linear Model: A Highest Density Region Approach," Working Papers 2010.06, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Serra, Teresa, 2011. "Food scare crises and price volatility: The case of the BSE in Spain," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 179-185, April.
- Saak, Alexander, 2011.
"Collective reputation, social norms, and participation:,"
IFPRI discussion papers
1107, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Alexander E. Saak, 2012. "Collective Reputation, Social Norms, and Participation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 94(3), pages 763-785.
- Beach, Robert H. & Zhen, Chen, 2008.
"Consumer Purchasing Behavior in Response to Media Coverage of Avian Influenza,"
2008 Annual Meeting, February 2-6, 2008, Dallas, Texas
6750, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Beach, Robert H. & Zhen, Chen, 2009. "Consumer Purchasing Behavior in Response to Media Coverage of Avian Influenza," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51742, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Radwan, Amr & Gil, Jose Maria & Ben Kaabia, Monia & Serra, Teresa, 2008. "Modeling The Impact Of Food Safety Information On Meat Demand In Spain," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6672, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Mu, Jianhong H. & McCarl, Bruce A., 2010. "Does Negative Information Always Hurt Meat Demand? An Examination of Avian Influenza Information Impacts on U.S," 115th Joint EAAE/AAEA Seminar, September 15-17, 2010, Freising-Weihenstephan, Germany 116450, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Radwan, Amr & Gil, Jose Maria & Ben Kaabia, Monia & Serra, Teresa, 2009. "Food Safety Information And Meat Demand In Spain," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51540, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Mutondo, Joao E. & Henneberry, Shida Rastegari, 2007. "A Source-Differentiated Analysis of U.S. Meat Demand," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(03), December.
- Hassouneh, Islam & Serra, Teresa & Gil, Jose Maria, 2009. "Price transmission in the Spanish bovine sector: the BSE effect," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 50121, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.