Government Payments and Farm Business Survival
AbstractUsing farm-level panel data from recent U.S. Agricultural Censuses, this study examines how direct government payments influence the survival of farm businesses, paying particular attention to the differential effect of payments across farm-size categories. A Cox proportional hazards model is used to estimate the effect of government payments on the instantaneous probability of a farm business failure, controlling for farm and operator characteristics. Results indicate that an increase in government payments has a small but statistically significant negative effect on the rate of business failure, and the magnitude of this effect increases with farm size. Copyright 2006, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 88 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Berlinschi, Ruxanda & Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Van Herck, Kristine, 2012. "Subsidies and agricultural employment: The education channel," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126776, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Pufahl, Andrea & Weiss, Christoph R., 2008. "Evaluating the Effects of Farm Programs: Results from Propensity Score Matching," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6635, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kuo-Liang Chang & George Langelett & Andrew Waugh, 2011. "Health, Health Insurance, and Decision to Exit from Farming," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 356-372, June.
- Key, Nigel, 2013.
"Production Contracts and Farm Business Growth and Survival,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 45(02), May.
- Key, Nigel D., 2010. "Production Contracts and Farm Business Growth and Survival," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61022, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Pufahl, Andrea & Weiss, Christoph R., 2008. "Evaluating the Effects of Farm Programs: Results from Propensity Score Matching," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44149, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tocco, Barbara & Davidova, Sophia & Bailey, Alastair, 2013. "The Impact of CAP Payments on the Exodus of Labour from Agriculture in Selected EU Member States," Factor Markets Working Papers 180, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Nordin, Martin, 2013. "Does the Decoupling Reform Affect Agricultural Employment in Sweden? Evidence from an Exogenous Change," Working Papers 2013:40, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Key, Nigel D. & Roberts, Michael J., 2007. "Commodity Payments, Farm Business Survival, and Farm Size Growth," Economic Research Report 55968, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Moro, Daniele & Sckokai, Paolo, 2013. "The impact of decoupled payments on farm choices: Conceptual and methodological challenges," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 28-38.
- Zier, Patrick, 2013. "Econometric impact assessment of the Common Agricultural Policy in East German agriculture," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 71, number 71.
- Bontemps, Christophe & Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Simioni, Michel, 2012.
"Quality Labels and Firm Survival in the French Cheese Industry,"
TSE Working Papers
12-335, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Bontemps, Christophe & Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Simioni, Michel, 2012. "Quality Labels and Firm Survival in the French Cheese Industry," IDEI Working Papers 741, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Arita, Shawn & Hemanchandra, Dilini & Leung, PingSun, 0. "Can Local Farms Survive Globalization?," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association.
- Bontemps, Christophe & Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Simioni, Michel, 2011. "Quality Labels and Firm Survival in the Food Industry," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114263, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Howard, Gregory E. & Roe, Brian E., 2011. "Comparing the Risk Attitudes of U.S. and German Farmers," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114528, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Andrea Pufahl & Christoph Weiss, 2007. "Evaluating the effects of farm programs: Results from propensity score matching," Department of Economics Working Papers wuwp113, Vienna University of Economics, Department of Economics.
- Ashok Mishra & Hisham El-Osta, 2008. "Effect of agricultural policy on succession decisions of farm households," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 285-307, September.
- Roberts, Michael J. & Key, Nigel D., 2006. "Government Payments and Farmland Concentration," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21097, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Zier, Patrick & Petrick, Martin, 2010. "Cap Reform And The Effects Of Direct Payments On Heterogeneous Farm Structures In East Germany," 50st Annual Conference, Braunschweig, Germany, September 29-October 1, 2010 93948, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Girante, Maria Joana & Goodwin, Barry K. & Featherstone, Allen M., 2008. "Farmers' Crop Acreage Decisions in the Presence of Credit Constraints: Do Decoupled Payments Matter?," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6335, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Blank, Steven C. & Erickson, Kenneth W. & Nehring, Richard F. & Hallahan, Charles B., 2006. "Agricultural Profits and Farm Household Wealth: A Farm-level and Cross-sectional Analysis," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21436, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.