Cost-Effective Targeting of Land Retirement to Improve Water Quality with Endogenous Sediment Deposition Coefficients
AbstractAn integrated framework that combines spatial and biophysical attributes of land with a hydrological model and an economic model is developed to identify cropland for enrollment in the Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program. Sediment deposition coefficients are determined endogenously depending on the land-use decisions on other land parcels. Application of this framework to a watershed in Illinois demonstrates that highly sloping land adjacent to water bodies should be selected for retirement. A marginal value rental payment scheme can achieve program goals of 20% sediment abatement at 39% lower cost than a productivity-based rental scheme. Copyright 2003, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 85 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Farnsworth, Richard L. & Austen, Douglas & White, Carolyn, 2003. "National "E-Extension" Programs: Feasibility And Structure," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21936, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Apland, Jeffrey & Grainger, Corbett & Strock, Jeffrey, 2004. "Modeling Agricultural Production Considering Water Quality and Risk," Staff Papers 14240, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Lankoski, Jussi E. & Lichtenberg, Erik & Ollikainen, Markku, 2008.
"Agri-Environmental Program Compliance in a Heterogeneous Landscape,"
37797, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Jussi Lankoski & Erik Lichtenberg & Markku Ollikainen, 2010. "Agri-Environmental Program Compliance in a Heterogeneous Landscape," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 47(1), pages 1-22, September.
- Farnsworth, Richard L. & Engel, Bernard & McCloud, Susan & Choi, Jin-Yong & Lim, Kyoung Jae & Theller, Lawrence, 2004. "The EQIP GIS, Web-based Decision Program," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20217, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Kurkalova, Lyubov A. & Kling, Catherine L. & Zhao, Jinhua, 2004.
"Value of Agricultural Nonpoint Source Pollution Measurement Technology: Assessment from a Policy Perspective,"
Staff General Research Papers
12328, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Lyubov Kurkalova & Catherine Kling & Jinhua Zhao, 2004. "Value of agricultural non-point source pollution measurement technology: assessment from a policy perspective," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(20), pages 2287-2298.
- Ancev, Tihomir & Odeh, Inakwu O.A., 2005. "Use of Spatially Referenced Data in Agricultural Economics Research," 2005 Conference (49th), February 9-11, 2005, Coff's Harbour, Australia 137743, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Roebeling, Peter C. & Smith, D. Mark & van Grieken, Martijn, 2006. "Exploring Environmental-Economic Benefits from Agri-Industrial Diversification in the Sugar Industry: An Integrated Land Use and Value Chain Approach," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25755, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Valcu, Adriana & Rabotyagov, Sergey S. & Kling, C.L., 2013. "Flexible Practice-Based Approaches For Controlling Multiple Agricultural Nonpoint-Source Water Pollution," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150450, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Balana, Bedru Babulo & Vinten, Andy & Slee, Bill, 2011. "A review on cost-effectiveness analysis of agri-environmental measures related to the EU WFD: Key issues, methods, and applications," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(6), pages 1021-1031, April.
- Yang, Wanhong & Khanna, Madhu & Farnsworth, Richard & Onal, Hayri, 2003. "Integrating economic, environmental and GIS modeling to target cost effective land retirement in multiple watersheds," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 249-267, September.
- Feng, Hongli & Jha, Manoj K. & Gassman, Philip W., 2006. "Allocating Nutrient Load Reduction across a Watershed: Implications of Different Principles," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21131, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.