Parametric and Semiparametric Modeling of the Off-Farm Labor Supply of Agrarian Households in Transition Bulgaria
AbstractThe reaction of labor marketsto economic reforms is an important indicator of the progress of transition. Because of diminished government support and the breakup of state and collective enterprises, labor market adjustments in the transition economies have been particularly severe in the agricultural sector. Thisarticle evaluatesthe off-farm labor market for a sample of agrarian households in transition Bulgaria. We give particular attention to the distributional assumptions that underlie standard approaches to the evaluation of labor supply. A variety of specification tests are considered and support for standard maximum likelihood estimates which rely on normality as a maintained hypothesis is mixed. Alternative semiparametric (distribution-free) estimators are also considered. The empirical results indicate that, five years after the initiation of the transition, off-farm labor supply patterns for Bulgarian agricultural households are similar to what is commonly observed in developed market economies. Labor supply is positively affected by factors such as education and work experience which are hypothesized to increase off-farm wages. Social benefit programs providing monetary or in-kind support payments are shown to significantly decrease off-farm work. Copyright 2002, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 84 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Boisvert, Richard N., 2002. "Analysis of a Re-Focused Agricultural Policy within a Farm-Household Framework Some Data Requirements," Workshop on the Farm Household-Firm Unit: Its Importance in Agriculture and Implications for Statistics, April 12-13, 2002, Wye Campus,Imperial College 15727, International Agricultural Policy Reform and Adjustment Project (IAPRAP).
- Vergara, Oscar & Coble, Keith H. & Patrick, George F. & Knight, Thomas O. & Baquet, Alan E., 2004. "Farm Income Variability and the Supply of Off-Farm Labor by Limited-Resource Farmers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(02), August.
- Ooms, Daan L. & Hall, Alastair R., 2005. "EU policy reform simulation based on panel data estimation of on- and off-farm labour supply equations for Dutch dairy farmers," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19434, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Tocco, Barbara & Davidova, Sophia & Bailey, Alastair Creation-Date: 2012-02, . "Key Issues in Agricultural Labour Markets: A Review of Major Studies and Project Reports on Agriculture and Rural Labour Markets," Factor Markets Working Papers 126, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Ralitza Dimova & Jeffrey B. Nugent, 2006.
"Pulls, Pushes and Entitlement Failures in Labor Markets: Does the State of Development Matter?,"
CEDI Discussion Paper Series
06-07, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
- Bhaumik, Sumon K. & Dimova, Ralitza & Nugent, Jeffrey B., 2006. "Pulls, Pushes and Entitlement Failures in Labor Markets: Does the State of Development Matter?," IZA Discussion Papers 2258, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olper,Alessandro, & Raimondi,Valentina & Cavicchioli,Daniele & Vigani,Mauro, 2012. "Does the Common Agricultural Policy Reduce Farm Labour Migration? Panel data analysis across EU regions," Factor Markets Working Papers 133, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Tocco, Barbara & Davidova, Sophia & Bailey, Alastair Creation-Date: 2012-02, . "Supply and Demand Side Limitations Affecting the Structure of Agriculture and the Rural Economy," Factor Markets Working Papers 124, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Tocco, Barbara & Davidova, Sophia & Bailey, Alastair, 2012. "Labour Adjustments In Agriculture: Evidence From Romania," 132nd Seminar, October 25-27, 2012, Skopje, Republic of Macedonia 139503, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ooms, Daan L. & Hall, Alastair R., 2005. "On- and Off-Farm Labour Supply of Dutch Dairy Farmers: Estimation and Policy Simulations," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24506, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jan Fałkowski & Maciej Jakubowski & Paweł Strawiński, 2011.
"Returns from income strategies in rural Poland,"
2011-05, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Falkowski, Jan & Jakubowski, Maciej & Strawinski, Pawel, 2013. "Returns from Income Strategies in Rural Poland," Factor Markets Working Papers 178, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Falkowski, Jan & Jakubowski, Maciej & Strawinski, Pawel, 2011. "Returns from Income Strategies in Rural Poland," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114364, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge & Mishra, Ashok K. & Nehring, Richard F. & Hendricks, Chad & Southern, Malaya & Gregory, Alexandra, 2007. "Off-Farm Income, Technology Adoption, And Farm Economic Performance," Economic Research Report 7234, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Bhaumik, Sumon Kumar & Dimova, Ralitza & Nugent, Jeffrey B., 2011. "Off-farm labor supply and labor markets in rapidly changing circumstances: Bulgaria during transition," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 378-389, September.
- Olper, Alessandro & Raimondi, Valentina & Cavicchioli, Daniele & Vigani, Mauro, . "Reallocation of Agricultural Labor and Farm Subsidies: Evidence From the EU Regions," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126645, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Alex Almeida & Boris Bravo-Ureta, 2011. "Agricultural Productivity And Off-Farm Labor Decisions By Heads And Spouses In Nicaragua: A Semiparametric Analysis Using Panel Data," ERSA conference papers ersa11p508, European Regional Science Association.
- Boisvert, Richard N. & Chang, Hung-Hao, 2006. "Does Participation in the Conservation Reserve Program and Off-Farm Work Affect the Level and Distribution of Farm Household Incomes?," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21277, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Chang, Hung-Hao & Boisvert, Richard N., 2009. "Does Participation in the Conservation Reserve Program and/or Off-Farm Work Affect the Level and Distribution of Farm Household Income?," Working Papers 57035, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Pandit, Mahesh & Paudel, Krishna P. & Mishra, Ashok K., 2013. "Do Agricultural Subsidies Affect the Labor Allocation Decision? Comparing Parametric and Semiparametric Methods," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(1), April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.