Unconditional Elasticities in Two-Stage Demand Systems: An Approximate Solution
AbstractTwo-stage budgeting postulates that the consumer's utility maximization decision can be decomposed into two steps. In the first stage, total expenditure is allocated over broad groups of goods. In the second stage, group expenditures are allocated over elementary commodities. In this article, we assume that the current weighted true cost-of-living price indices defined for each broad group of elementary commodities vary only very slightly with sub-utility levels. Hence, it is possible to approximate the first stage of a two-stage budgeting structure by a maximization problem involving a single price index and a single quantity index for each of the broad groups. Relationships between conditional and unconditional expenditure and price elasticities are derived within this context. Copyright 2001, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 83 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Xavier Irz, 2010.
"Modeling physical quantities of food and nutrients consumed from aggregate data-with an application to Finland,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(3-4), pages 293-304, 05.
- Irz, Xavier T., 2009. "Modelling physical quantities of food and nutrients consumed from aggregate data – with an application to Finland," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 50324, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Richard Ochmann, 2014.
"Differential income taxation and household asset allocation,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(8), pages 880-894, March.
- Richard Ochmann, 2010. "Differential Income Taxation and Household Asset Allocation," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1058, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- James, Jennifer S. & Alston, Julian M., 2002. "Taxes and quality: A market-level analysis," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 46(3), September.
- Silva, Andres & Garcia, Marian & Bailey, Alastair, 2012. "The Impact of Child Obesity News on Household Food Expenditure in the United Kingdom," 2012 AAEA/EAAE Food Environment Symposium, May 30-31, Boston, MA 123526, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Gustavsen, Geir Waehler & Rickertsen, Kyrre, 2002. "Public Policies and the Demand for Vegetables," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24885, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Smith, Brett & Abdoolakhan, Zeenat & Taplin, John, 2010. "Demand and choice elasticities for a separable product group," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 134-136, August.
- Liu, Kang Ernest & Chern, Wen S., 2003. "Food Demand In Urban China: An Application Of A Multi-Stage Censored Demand System," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21919, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Gundimeda, Haripriya & Kohlin, Gunnar, 2008. "Fuel demand elasticities for energy and environmental policies: Indian sample survey evidence," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 517-546, March.
- Huffman, Wallace E. & Huffman, Sonya K. & Rickertsen, Kyrre & Tegene, Abebayehu, 2010.
"Over-Nutrition and Changing Health Status in High Income Countries,"
Staff General Research Papers
31492, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Huffman Wallace E. & Huffman Sonya K & Rickertsen Kyrre & Tegene Abebayehu, 2010. "Over-Nutrition and Changing Health Status in High Income Countries," Forum for Health Economics & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 13(1), pages 1-44, June.
- Huffman, Wallace & Huffman, Sonya K. & Rickertsen, Kyrre & Tegene, Abebayehu, 2006. "Over-Nutrition and Changing Health Status in High Income Countries," Staff General Research Papers 12604, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Réquillart, Vincent & Soregaroli, Claudio & Trévisiol, Audrey, 2008.
"Demand for dairy products in the EU,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 644-656, December.
- Stefan Wirsenius & Fredrik Hedenus & Kristina Mohlin, 2011. "Greenhouse gas taxes on animal food products: rationale, tax scheme and climate mitigation effects," Climatic Change, Springer, vol. 108(1), pages 159-184, September.
- Ole Boysen, 2012. "A Food Demand System Estimation for Uganda," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp396, IIIS.
- Haripriya Gundimeda & Gunnar KÃƒÂ¶hlin, 2006. "Fuel Demand Elasticities for Energy and Environmental Policies Indian Sample Survey Evidence," Energy Working Papers 22501, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- repec:ags:mareec:28155 is not listed on IDEAS
- GianCarlo Moschini, 2000.
"Flexible Multistage Demand System Based on Indirect Separability, A,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
00-wp265, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 2001. "Flexible Multistage Demand System Based on Indirect Separability, A," Staff General Research Papers 1921, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Ana Gil & José Molina, 2009. "Alcohol demand among young people in Spain: an addictive QUAIDS," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 515-530, June.
- Choi, Hee Jung & Wohlgenant, Michael K., 2012. "Demand Analysis of Fluid Milk with Different Attributes," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124746, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Preety Srivastava & Keith R. McLaren & Michael Wohlgenant & Xueyan Zhao, 2014. "Econometric Modelling of Price Response by Alcohol Types to Inform Alcohol Tax Policies," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 5/14, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.