Survey Response-Related Biases in Contingent Valuation: Concepts, Remedies, and Empirical Application to Valuing Aquatic Plant Management
AbstractSample nonresponse and selection biases that may occur in survey research such as contingent valuation applications are discussed and tested. Correction mechanisms for these types of biases are demonstrated. Results indicate the importance of testing and correcting for unit and item nonresponse bias in contingent valuation survey data. When sample nonresponse and selection bias go uncorrected, welfare measures may be overestimated or underestimated contributing to potential errors in resource policy and management decisions. Copyright 2000, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 82 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lindhjem, Henrik & Navrud, Ståle, 2008. "Internet CV surveys – a cheap, fast way to get large samples of biased values?," MPRA Paper 11471, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lipton, Douglas W., 2004.
"The Value Of Improved Water Quality To Chesapeake Bay Boaters,"
Marine Resource Economics,
Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 19(2).
- Lipton, Douglas W., 2003. "The Value Of Improved Water Quality To Chesapeake Bay Boaters," Working Papers 28603, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Dietz, Brian, 2001. "An Analysis Of Statistical Errors In Contingent Valuation Surveys," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20462, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Maria Loureiro & Justus Lotade, 2005.
"Interviewer Effects on the Valuation of Goods with Ethical and Environmental Attributes,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 30(1), pages 49-72, January.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Lotade-Manje, Justus, 2003. "Interviewer Effects On The Valuation Of Goods With Ethical And Environmental Attributes," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22014, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Darren Hudson & Lee-Hong Seah & Diane Hite & Tim Haab, 2004. "Telephone presurveys, self-selection, and non-response bias to mail and Internet surveys in economic research," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 237-240.
- Liu, Jin-Tan & Tsou, Meng-Wen & Hammitt, James K., 2009. "Willingness to pay for weight-control treatment," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 211-218, July.
- Langpap, Christian, 2003. "Conservation Of Endangered Species: Can Incentives Work For Private Landowners?," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21972, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Deng, Xueting & Saghaian, Sayed H. & Woods, Timothy A., 2012. "A Comparison of Consumer Willingness to Pay for Four Types of Sweeteners," 2012 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2012, Birmingham, Alabama 119811, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Hine, Susan E., 2001. "Discovering Niche Markets: A Comparison Of Consumer Willingness To Pay For A Local (Colorado Grown), Organic, And Gmo-Free Product," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20630, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Langpap, Christian, 2006. "Conservation of endangered species: Can incentives work for private landowners?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(4), pages 558-572, June.
- Torero, Maximo & Chowdhury, Shyamal K. & Galdo, Virgilio, 2003. "Willingness to pay for the rural telephone service in Bangladesh and Peru," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 327-361, September.
- Lyssenko, Nikita & Martinez-Espineira, Roberto, 2009. "`Been there done that': Disentangling option value effects from user heterogeneity when valuing natural resources with a use component," MPRA Paper 21976, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 08 Apr 2010.
- Lindhjem, Henrik & Navrud, Ståle, 2010. "Can cheap panel-based internet surveys substitute costly in-person interviews in CV surveys?," MPRA Paper 24069, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & McCluskey, Jill J. & Mittelhammer, Ronald C., 2001. "Assessing Consumer Preferences For Organic, Eco-Labeled, And Regular Apples," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(02), December.
- Maria Ana Odejar & Kostas Mavromaras & Mandy Ryan, 2004. "Messy Data Modelling in Health Care Contingent Valuation Studies," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 406, Econometric Society.
- Schlapfer, Felix, 2006. "Survey protocol and income effects in the contingent valuation of public goods: A meta-analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 415-429, May.
- Starbuck, C. Meghan & Berrens, Robert P. & McKee, Michael, 2006. "Simulating changes in forest recreation demand and associated economic impacts due to fire and fuels management activities," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 52-66, January.
- Collins, Alan R. & Rosenberger, Randall S., 2007. "Protest Adjustments in the Valuation of Watershed Restoration Using Payment Card Data," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 36(2), October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.