A Dynamic Analysis of Land Prices
AbstractA dynamic model of land prices is developed. It derives arbitrage asset prices under nonadditive dynamic preferences, risk aversion, and transaction costs. The model nests as special cases risk neutrality, time-additive preferences, the static capital asset pricing model (CAPM), as well as the dynamic consumption-based CAPM. The model is applied to the analysis of U.S. land prices for the period 1950–96. The econometric results provide evidence showing that U.S. land price patterns are inconsistent with risk neutrality or with the static CAPM model. No strong evidence was found against time-additive preferences. The econometric findings indicate that both risk aversion and transaction costs have significant effects on land prices. Copyright 1999, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 81 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ifft, Jennifer & Nickerson, Cynthia J. & Kuethe, Todd H. & You, Chengxia, 2012. "Potential Farm-Level Effects of Eliminating Direct Payments," Economic Information Bulletin 139809, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Duke, Joshua M. & Awokuse, Titus O., 2004.
"The Causal Structure Of Land Price Determinants,"
2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO
20324, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Titus O. Awokuse & Joshua M. Duke, 2006. "The Causal Structure of Land Price Determinants," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 54(2), pages 227-245, 06.
- Katchova, Ani L. & Sherrick, Bruce J. & Barry, Peter J., 2002. "The Effects Of Risk On Farmland Values And Returns," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19660, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Femenia, Fabienne & Gohin, Alexandre & Carpentier, Alain, 2008.
"The decoupling of farm programs: Revisiting the wealth effect,"
108th Seminar, February 8-9, 2008, Warsaw, Poland
48107, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fabienne Femenia & Alexandre Gohin & Alain Carpentier, 2010. "The Decoupling of Farm Programs: Revisiting the Wealth Effect," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(3), pages 836-848.
- Onel, Gulcan, 2012. "The Use of Nonstationary Panel Time Series Data in the Analysis of Farmland Values," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124893, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Gardebroek, Cornelis & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M., 2008. "Dynamic Microeconometric Approaches To Analysing Agricultural Policy," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6592, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Xu, Jin & Leatham, David J., 2010. "Dynamic Analysis of Land Prices with Flexible Risk Aversion Coefficients," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61872, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Onel, Gulcan, 2009. "Modeling Nonlinearities in Farmland Values: A Dynamic Panel Threshold Error-Correction Model," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49445, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Mishra, Ashok K. & Moss, Charles B. & Erickson, Kenneth W., 2004. "Effect Of Debt Solvency On Farmland Values: A Panel Cointegration Approach," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20261, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Ifft, Jennifer & Cooper, Joseph C. & Kuethe, Todd H., 2012. "The Impact of Risk and Farm Program Design on Cash Rents," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124334, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Saak, Alexander E. & Hennessy, David A., 2001. "Location, Land Quality, And Rental Volatility," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20747, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Guiling, Pam & Brorsen, B. Wade & Doye, Damona G., 2007. "How Much Influence Does Recreation Have on Agricultural Land Values?," 2007 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2007, Mobile, Alabama 34947, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Ashok Mishra & Charles Moss & Kenneth Erickson, 2004.
"Valuing farmland with multiple quasi-fixed inputs,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(15), pages 1669-1675.
- Mishra, Ashok K. & Erickson, Kenneth W. & Moss, Charles B., 2001. "Valuing Farmland With Multiple Quasifixed Inputs," Proceedings: 2001 Regional Committee NC-221, October 1-2, 2001, McLean, Virginia 132397, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- Dupraz, Pierre & Temesgen, Chalachew, 2012. "Farmland Rental Rate and Marginal Return to Land: A French FADN Perspective," 86th Annual Conference, April 16-18, 2012, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 134954, Agricultural Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.