What Causes Commodity Price Backwardation?
AbstractA recently proposed explanation for futures price backwardation is examined. An equilibrium model with spatial heterogeneity leads to the interpretation of backwardations as mismeasurement by the analyst. However, the model predicts that backwardations are more affected by the location of stocks than by their aggregate level. Empirical examination of the United States corn market fails to support this result. Copyright 1999, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 81 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Peterson, Hikaru Hanawa & Tomek, William G., 2001.
"Income Enhancing and Risk Management Properties of Marketing Practices,"
127653, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Peterson, Hikaru Hanawa & Tomek, William G., 2001. "Income Enhancing and Risk Management Properties of Marketing Practices," 2001 Conference, April 23-24, 2001, St. Louis, Missouri 18963, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Andrew Coleman, 2007. "The pitfalls of estimating transactions costs from price data: evidence from trans-Atlantic gold-point arbitrage, 1886-1905," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2007/07, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Andrew Coleman, 2007. "A model of spatial arbitrage with transport capacity constraints and endogenous transport prices," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2007/05, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Peterson, Hikaru Hanawa & Tomek, William G., 2001. "Income-Enhancing And Risk-Reducing Properties Of Marketing Practices," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20613, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Seamon, V. Frederick & Kahl, Kandice H. & Curtis, Charles E., Jr., 2001. "Regional And Seasonal Differences In The Cotton Basis," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 19(2).
- Peterson, Hikaru Hanawa & Tomek, William G., 2000. "Commodity Price Behavior: A Rational Expectations Storage Model of Corn," Working Papers 127682, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Franken, Jason R.V. & Garcia, Philip & Irwin, Scott H., 2006. "Do Interest Rates Explain Disaggregate Commodity Price Growth?," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21319, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.