Hysteresis and the Shortage of Agricultural Labor
AbstractFruit and vegetable growers often allege a shortage of agricultural workers, but in a review of the H2A nonimmigrant guestworker program the General Accounting Office claims that no such shortage exists. The apparent shortage may be due to workers that are in the labor force but do not choose to take agricultural jobs. According to real options theory, when nonagricultural jobs are uncertain, workers require added incentive to invest in sectoral migration. Estimates of an arbitrage model in monthly Washington state wage data show the labor-shortage probability to be far greater than the probability of a surplus. Copyright 1998, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 80 (1998)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tauer, Loren W., 2006.
"When to Get In and Out of Dairy Farming: A Real Option Analysis,"
Agricultural and Resource Economics Review,
Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 35(2), October.
- Tauer, Loren W., 2006. "When to Get In and Out of Dairy Farming: A Real Option Analysis," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21251, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Tauer, Loren W., 2004. "When to Get In and Out of Dairy Farming: A Real Option Analysis," Working Papers 127151, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Loren Tauer, 2005. "When to Get In and Out of Dairy Farming: A Real Option Analysis," Finance 0504018, EconWPA.
- Calum G. Turvey, 2010. "Biography: Kiyosi Itô and his influence on the study of agricultural finance and economics," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 70(1), pages 5-20, May.
- Quoc V. Luong & Loren W. Tauer, 2006.
"A real options analysis of coffee planting in Vietnam,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 35(1), pages 49-57, 07.
- Luong, Quoc & Tauer, Loren W., 2004. "A Real Options Analysis of Coffee Planting in Vietnam," Working Papers 127152, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Feil, Jan-Henning & Musshoff, Oliver, 2012. "Policy Impact Analysis on Investments and Disinvestments under Competition: A Real Options Approach," 2012 Conference (56th), February 7-10, 2012, Freemantle, Australia 124294, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Wheatley, W. Parker & Liu, Donald J. & del Ninno, Carlo, 2001. "Empirical Analysis Of Hysteresis In Rural Labor Markets In A Developing Country: The Case Of Bangladesh," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20594, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.