Nonparametric Tests of Profit Maximization in Oligopoly with Application to the Beef Packing Industry
AbstractIn this paper, we develop new, nonparametric methods of testing for static profit maximization given noncompetitive behavior. Repeated application of the test yields “maximum likelihood” estimates of the degree of noncompetitive behavior. Using plant-level data, these newly developed nonparametric methods are employed to test the hypothesis that beef packers are profit maximizers and to measure the extent to which packers influence prices in fed-cattle markets. Copyright 1997, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 79 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kellie Curry Raper & Corinna Noelke, 2004. "Determining market power exertion between buyers and sellers: are nonparametrics a viable alternative?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(20), pages 2265-2274.
- Koontz, Stephen R. & Purcell, Wayne D., 2000. "Research Programs To Address Price Discovery Concerns," 2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia 36421, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Raper, Kellie Curry & Noelke, Corinna M., 2001. "Deterministic Nonparametric Market Power Tests: An Empirical Investigation," Staff Papers 11757, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Stephen R. Koontz & John D. Lawrence, 2010. "Impacts of alternative marketing agreement cattle procurement on packer costs, gross margins, and profits: evidence from plant-level profit and loss data," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(1), pages 1-24.
- Noelke, Corinna M. & Raper, Kellie Curry, 1999. "Nonstructural And Statistical Nonparametric Market Power Tests: An Empirical Investigation," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21645, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Noelke, Corinna M. & Raper, Kellie Curry, 1998. "Parametric And Nonparametric Market Power Tests: An Empirical Investigation," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20875, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Ronchi, Loraine, 2006. "Fairtrade and market failures in agricultural commodity markets," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4011, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.