State- and County-Level Determinants of Food Manufacturing Establishment Growth: 1987–93
AbstractEmpirical models are developed and estimated to identify economic determinants of food manufacturing establishment growth between 1987 and 1993. Separate growth equations are estimated for states and counties at the three-digit SIC level. Significant agglomeration diseconomies are found to exist for nearly all subindustries at the county level, but not at the state level. The ability of rural counties to attract food processors to create local employment opportunities and market outlets for farmers varies considerably across subindustries. Copyright 1997, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 79 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jens Abildtrup & Virginie Piguet & Bertrand Schmitt, 2011. "The impact of agro-food industry on employment and population changes: The case of Denmark and France'," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1622, European Regional Science Association.
- Pruitt, J. Ross & Tilley, Daniel S., 2008. "Location Patterns of Confectionery Manufacturers in a Post NAFTA Environment," 2008 Annual Meeting, February 2-6, 2008, Dallas, Texas 6802, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Peterson, Hikaru Hanawa, 2002. "Geographic Changes In U.S. Dairy Production," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19792, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Lambert, Dayton M. & Brown, Jason P. & Florax, Raymond J.G.M., 2010.
"A two-step estimator for a spatial lag model of counts: Theory, small sample performance and an application,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 241-252, July.
- Dayton M. Lambert & Jason P. Brown & Raymond J.G.M. Florax, 2010. "A Two-Step Estimator For A Spatial Lag Model Of Counts: Theory, Small Sample Performance And An Application," Working Papers 10-5, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Ing, Charmaine & Christy, Ralph D., 1999. "Analyzing Establishment Growth Within New York Food Manufacturing Industries From 1987 Through 1995," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 30(1), March.
- Yu, Yihua & Rickman, Dan S., 2013.
"U.S. State and Local Fiscal Policies and Nonmetropolitan Area Economic Performance: A Spatial Equilibrium Analysis,"
44986, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yihua Yu & Dan S. Rickman, 2013. "US state and local fiscal policies and non-metropolitan area economic performance: A spatial equilibrium analysis," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(3), pages 579-597, 08.
- Halbrendt, Catherine K. & Zheng, Yi & Lucas, Marilyn T., 2000. "Identifying Sustainable Businesses For Community Economic Development," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21731, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Cheng, Mei-luan & Bills, Nelson L. & Francis, Joseph, 2006. "Historical and Spatial Analysis of High-Value Crop Production in the U.S," Working Papers 127063, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Jaenicke, Edward C. & Goetz, Stephan J. & Wu, Ping-Chao & Dimitri, Carolyn, 2009. "Identifying and Measuring the Effect of Firm Clusters Among Certified Organic Processors and Handlers," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49205, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Jason P. Brown & Raymond J.G.M. Florax & Kevin T. McNamara, 2008. "Evolution Of Investment Flows In U.S. Manufacturing:A Spatial Panel Approach," Working Papers 08-06, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.