Explaining Irrigation Technology Choices: A Microparameter Approach
AbstractWater price reforms are increasingly being used to encourage improvements in irrigation efficiency through technology adoption. A microparameter approach based on field-level data is used to assess the effect of economic variables, environmental characteristics, and institutional variables on irrigation technology choices. The results show that water price is not the most important factor governing irrigation technology adoption; physical and agronomic characteristics appear to matter more. The results demonstrate the importance of using micro-level data to determine the effects of asset heterogeneity and crop type on technology adoption. Copyright 1996, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 78 (1996)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Brennan, Donna C., 2002. "Policy interventions to promote the adoption of water saving sprinkler systems: the case of lettuce on the Gnangara Mound," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(3), September.
- World Bank, 2001. "India : Power Supply to Agriculture, Volume 1. Summary Report," World Bank Other Operational Studies 15288, The World Bank.
- Moreno, Georgina & Sunding, David L., 2000. "Irrigation Technology Investment When The Price Of Water Is Stochastic," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21730, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Schuck, Eric C. & Green, Gareth P., 2002. "Farm Level Irrigation Technology Decisions Over Time," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19632, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Green, Gareth P. & Sunding, David L., 2000. "Designing environmental regulations with empirical microparameter distributions: the case of seawater intrusion," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 63-78, January.
- Lichtenberg, Erik, 2013. "Optimal Investment in Precision Irrigation Systems: A Dynamic Intraseasonal Approach," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149920, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Lichtenberg, Erik, 2000.
"Agriculture And The Environment,"
28567, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Schuck, Eric C. & Green, Gareth P. & Sunding, David L., 2000. "Irrigation Water Rate Reform And Endogenous Technological Change," 2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia 36463, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Baerenklau, Kenneth A., 2004. "Simulating the Effects of a Green Payment Program on the Diffusion Rate of a Conservation Technology," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 33(1), April.
- Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge & Mishra, Ashok K. & Nehring, Richard F. & Hendricks, Chad & Southern, Malaya & Gregory, Alexandra, 2007. "Off-Farm Income, Technology Adoption, And Farm Economic Performance," Economic Research Report 7234, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Alcon, Francisco & De Miguel, MarÃa Dolores & Burton, Michael P., 2008. "AdopciÃ³n de tecnologÃa de distribuciÃ³n y control del agua en las Comunidades de Regantes de la RegiÃ³n de Murcia," Economia Agraria y Recursos Naturales, Spanish Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 8(1).
- Vandyke, Laura S. & Bosch, Darrell J. & Pease, James W., 1999. "Impacts Of Within-Farm Soil Variability On Nitrogen Pollution Control Costs," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(01), April.
- Green, Gareth P. & Sunding, David L., 1997.
"Land Allocation, Soil Quality, And The Demand For Irrigation Technology,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(02), December.
- Green, Gareth P. & Sunding, David L., 1997. "Land Allocation, Soil Quality and the Demand for Irrigation Technology," 1997 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 1997, Reno\Sparks, Nevada 35807, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Pietola, Kyosti & Vare, Minna & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M., 2002. "Farmers' Exit Decisions and Early Retirement Programs in Finland," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24825, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Anderson, David P. & Wilson, Paul N. & Thompson, Gary D., 1999. "The Adoption And Diffusion Of Level Fields And Basins," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(01), July.
- Qureshi, Muhammad Ejaz & Mallawaarachchi, Thilak & Wegener, Malcolm K. & Bristow, Keith L. & Charlesworth, Philip B. & Lisson, Shaun N., 2001. "Economic evaluation of alternative irrigation practices for sugarcane production in the Burdekin Delta," 2001 Conference (45th), January 23-25, 2001, Adelaide 125867, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Moreno, Georgina & Sunding, David L., 2003. "Simultaneous Estimation Of Technology Adoption And Land Allocation," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22134, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Moreno, Georgina & Sunding, David L. & Schoengold, Karina, 2004. "Panel Estimation Of Water Demand Based On An Episode Of Rate Reform," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20342, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Yoo, Do-il, 2012. "Individual and Social Learning in Bio-technology Adoption: The Case of GM Corn in the U.S," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124975, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Phoebe Koundouri & Celine Nauges & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, . "Endogenous Technology Adoption Under Production Risk: Theory and Application to Irrigation Technology," Working Papers 0411, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Georgina Moreno & David Sunding, 2001. "Factor Price Risk and the Diffusion of Conservation Technology: Evidence from the Water Industry," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2001-36, Claremont Colleges.
- Olen, Beau & Wu, JunJie & Langpap, Christian, 2012. "Crop-specific Irrigation Choices for Major Crops on the West Coast: Water Scarcity and Climatic Determinants," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124843, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.