The determinants of unemployment across OECD countries: Reassessing the role of policies and institutions
AbstractAndrea Bassanini and Romain Duval are economists at the Directorate for Employment, Labour and Social Affairs and the OECD Economics Department, respectively. Catherine Chapuis-Grabiner, Sébastien Martin and Rebecca Oyomopito provided excellent research assistance. Comments from Sveinbjorn Blöndal, Wendy Carlin, Jean-Philippe Cotis, Martine Durand, Jorgen Elmeskov, Michael P. Feiner, David Howell, Etienne Lehmann, Edmond Malinvaud, John P. Martin, Giuseppe Nicoletti, Stefano Scarpetta, Paul Swaim, Raymond Torres and participants to the joint WP1/WP5 EPC-ELSAC meeting in Paris, January 2006, and the Séminaire Fourgeaud, Paris, May 2006, are also gratefully acknowledged. Any errors are the responsibilities of the authors alone. The views expressed in this paper are those of the authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of the OECD or of its member countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by OECD Publishing in its journal OECD Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 2006 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Silvia Fedeli & Francesco Forte & Ottavio Ricchi, 2013. "The long term negative relation between public deficit and structural unemployment: An empirical study of OECD countries (1980-2009)," Working Papers 160, University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics.
- Feldmann, Horst, 2009.
"The Quality of the Legal System and Labor Market Performance around the World,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
15966, University of Bath, Department of Economics.
- Horst Feldmann, 2009. "The quality of the legal system and labor market performance around the world," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 39-65, August.
- repec:eid:wpaper:12/09 is not listed on IDEAS
- Feldmann, Horst, 2012. "Real interest rate and labor market performance in developing countries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 200-203.
- Andrea Bassanini & Danielle Venn, 2008. "The Impact of Labour Market Policies on Productivity in OECD Countries," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 17, pages 3-15, Fall.
- Horst Feldmann, 2012. "Product Market Regulation and Labor Market Performance around the World," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 26(3), pages 369-391, 09.
- Feldmann, Horst, 2009. "The unemployment effects of labor regulation around the world," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 76-90, March.
- Sachs, Andreas, 2010. "A Bayesian approach to determine the impact of institutions on the unemployment rate," ZEW Discussion Papers 10-058, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Andreas Sachs, 2012. "What really drives unemployment? A bayesian approach to determine the impact of institutions on the unemployment rate," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(1), pages 1008-1019.
- repec:eid:wpaper:01/10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gebhard Flaig & Horst Rottmann, 2009. "Labour Market Institutions and the Employment Intensity of Output Growth," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 229(1), pages 22-35, February.
- repec:eid:wpaper:01/11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Abdul Abiad & Petya Koeva Brooks & Irina Tytell & Daniel Leigh & Ravi Balakrishnan, 2009. "Whatâ€™s the Damage? Medium-term Output Dynamics After Banking Crises," IMF Working Papers 09/245, International Monetary Fund.
- Oesch, Daniel, 2009. "Explaining high unemployment among low-skilled workers: Evidence from 21 European and Anglo-Saxon countries, 1991-2006," MPRA Paper 21041, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Feldmann, Horst, 2011. "The unemployment effect of exchange rate volatility in industrial countries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 111(3), pages 268-271, June.
- Horst Feldmann, 2010. "Venture Capital Availability and Labor Market Performance in Industrial Countries: Evidence Based on Survey Data," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(1), pages 23-54, 02.
- Sachs, Andreas, 2011. "Institutions and unemployment: Do interactions matter?," ZEW Discussion Papers 11-057, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Rottmann, Horst & Flaig, Gebhard, 2009. "Arbeitsmarktinstitutionen und die langfristige Entwicklung der Arbeitslosigkeit: Empirische Ergebnisse für 19 OECD-Länder," Weidener Diskussionspapiere 17, University of Applied Sciences Amberg-Weiden (HAW).
- Simon Sturn, 2011. "Labour market regimes and unemployment in OECD countries," IMK Working Paper 6-2011, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Feldmann, Horst, 2011. "The Unemployment Effect of Exchange Rate Volatility in Industrial Countries," Department of Economics Working Papers 24073, University of Bath, Department of Economics.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006. "The Determinants of Unemployment across OECD Countries," Post-Print halshs-00120584, HAL.
- Misbah Tanveer Choudhry & Enrico Marelli & Marcello Signorelli, 2012. "Youth unemployment rate and impact of financial crises," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(1), pages 76-95, June.
- Feldmann, Horst, 2010. "Venture Capital Availability and Labor Market Performance in Industrial Countries: Evidence Based on Survey Data," Department of Economics Working Papers 18104, University of Bath, Department of Economics.
- Mathijs Gerritsen & Jens Høj, 2013. "The Dutch Labour Market: Preparing for the Future," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 1012, OECD Publishing.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.