Results and financial structure of firms in 2009
AbstractThe article looks at the financial situation of non-financial corporations in Belgium over the period from 1 January to 31 December 2009. After briefly describing the methodology and the population studied, it presents an extrapolation of the main operating result items for 2009. It assesses then the financial situation of companies as regards profitability and solvency. Since last year, the scope of this assessment has been widened to cover the entire population : apart from the medians, the first and third quartiles, as well as the tenth and ninetieth percentiles, have been studied too. Finally, the article gives some insight into the relation between financial ratios’ distribution and bankruptcy risk. This insight shows for instance that the relation between solvency and bankruptcy risk is markedly negative : the higher the solvency, the lower the bankruptcy risk, and vice versa. The same kind of relation can be derived for other variables, such as profitability or debt ratios.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by National Bank of Belgium in its journal Economic Review.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): III (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Boulevard de Berlaimont 14, B-1000 Bruxelles
Phone: (+ 32) (0) 2 221 25 34
Fax: (+ 32) (0) 2 221 31 62
Web page: http://www.nbb.be/
More information through EDIRC
firms’ results; financial structure; bankruptcy risk; sectoral analysis; distribution analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D39 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Other
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
- G33 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Bankruptcy; Liquidation
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
- L80 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Claude Mathys, 2011. "Economic importance of the Belgian ports: Flemish maritime ports, Liège port complex and the port of Brussels – Report 2009," Working Paper Document 215, National Bank of Belgium.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.