Crescita virtuosa e crescita neodualistica nell'ambito regionale: tendenze recenti per le aree europee in ritardo di sviluppo
AbstractThe evidence of persistent differentials in the growth and in the labour market performance among regions of Europe calls for a comprehensive analysis of the recent evolution of the position of the more backward area within the European Union. Evolution of regional differentials in GDP per head cannot be understood, according to the point of view expressed in this paper, without a joint analysis of the tendencies at the level of of the two complementary factors in the determination of total product of an area - productivity of the employed population, and the employment rate (employed to total population). Dispersion of income, productivity, and employment rates among the regions belonging to the Objective I area of European regional policies are investigated; an analysis of the evolution of measures of a development gap of these regions with respect to average European standards is considered. In general, it appears that convergence of income and a catch up process, for the regions within the Objective I area, has been taken place, nothwithstanding the evidence of convergence of productivity, by stagnant or declining employment rates reflecting inability ot match labour supply through additional flows of jobs. We have tentatively called this situation of locally improving productivity performance and lack of sufficient capacity of absorption of labour, as one of a neodualistic growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Società editrice il Mulino in its journal Rivista economica del Mezzogiorno.
Volume (Year): (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- P. Piacentini & G. Sulis, 1999. "Crescita virtuosa e crescita neodualistica nell'ambito regionale: tendenze recenti per le aree europee in ritardo di sviluppo," Working Paper CRENoS 199917, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- R. Naylor, 2001. "Firm profits and the number of firms under unionised oligopoly," Working Paper CRENoS 200109, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Francesco Aiello & Valeria Pupo, 2009. "L’Impatto Dei Fondi Strutturali In Italia," Working Papers 200901, Università della Calabria, Dipartimento di Economia, Statistica e Finanza (Ex Dipartimento di Economia e Statistica).
- Marattin, Luigi & Salotti, Simone, 2010.
"Productivity and per capita GDP growth: the role of the forgotten factors,"
29294, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marattin, Luigi & Salotti, Simone, 2011. "Productivity and per capita GDP growth: The role of the forgotten factors," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 1219-1225, May.
- L. Marattin & S. Salotti, 2009. "A Note on Productivity and Per Capita GDP Growth: the Role of the Forgotten Factors," Working Papers 667, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- LR. Keller & E. Strazzera, 2000. "Examining predictive models among discounting models," Working Paper CRENoS 200005, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- R. Naylor, 2001. "Industry profits and market size under bilateral oligopoly," Working Paper CRENoS 200108, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- M. Musumeci, 2000. "Innovazione tecnologica e beni culturali. Uno studio sulla situazione della Sicilia," Working Paper CRENoS 200008, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- C. Antonelli & R. Marchionatti & S. Usai, 2000. "Productivity and External Knowledge: The Italian Case," Working Paper CRENoS 200009, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.