Development Strategies for Tourism Destinations: Tourism Sophistication vs. Resource Investments
AbstractThis paper investigates the effectiveness of development strategies for tourism destinations. We argue that resource investments unambiguously increase tourism revenues and that increasing the degree of tourism sophistication, that is increasing the variety of tourism related goods and services, increases tourism activity and decreases the perceived quality of the destination's resource endowment, leading to an ambiguous effect on tourism revenues. We disentangle these two effects and characterize situations where increasing the degree of tourism sophistication is a viable development strategy and where it is impracticable and describe the optimal policy mix.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Società editrice il Mulino in its journal Economia politica.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
J.E.L. L83; O1; D11;
Other versions of this item:
- Rainer Andergassen & Guido Candela, 2010. "Development Strategies for Tourism Destinations: Tourism Sophistication vs. Resource Investments," Working Paper Series 35_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jun 2013.
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rakela Thano, 2013. "Touristic Investments in Saranda Region," Journal of Knowledge Management, Economics and Information Technology, ScientificPapers.org, vol. 3(2), pages 9, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.