Migration patterns in a remittances dependent economy: Evidence from Tajikistan during the global financial crisis
AbstractBefore the global financial crisis, Tajikistan was a major labour exporting and the world’s most remittances-dependent country. Remittances had contributed to a remarkable reduction in poverty. This paper exploits a new panel data set spanning the years 2007 to 2009 in order to investigate the effect of the financial crisis on migration and remittances patterns. Expectedly, the economic recession in the main destination country Russia affected Tajikistan through declining remittances. Owing to low diversification in pre-crisis migration patterns, the dependency on sending migrants to Russia and the migration stock there grew. In combination with increased migration risk this suggests that migrants bear part of the cost of the crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MTransnational Press London, London, UK in its journal Migration Letters.
Volume (Year): 7 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.migrationletters.com/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tilman Brück & Damir Esenaliev & Antje Kroeger & Alma Kudebayeva & Bakhrom Mirkasimov & Susan Steiner, 2012.
"Household Survey Data for Research on Well-Being and Behavior in Central Asia,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1257, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Brück, Tilman & Esenaliev, Damir & Kroeger, Antje & Kudebayeva, Alma & Mirkasimov, Bakhrom & Steiner, Susan, 2012. "Household Survey Data for Research on Well-Being and Behavior in Central Asia," IZA Discussion Papers 7055, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ibrahim Sirkeci & Jeffrey H. Cohen & Dilip Ratha, 2012. "Migration and Remittances during the Global Financial Crisis and Beyond," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13092.
- Alexander M. Danzer & Barbara Dietz & Kseniia Gatskova, 2013. "Migration and Remittances in Tajikistan: Survey Technical Report," Working Papers 327, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- Kröger, Antje & Meier, Kristina, 2011. "Employment and the Financial Crisis: Evidence from Tajikistan," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011 50, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (I. Sirkeci).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.